Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question: Has anyone received a test from XpressCheck at an airport for the "Rapid Molecular COVID Test"? If so, is this an antigen test?

I've asked XpressCheck for clarification but as of yet, I've yet to receive a response. I'm still booked for a PHX-MIA--BON hop on March 20th, have a PCR test reserved from SonoraQuest within the 72-hr window with assurances of a 48-hr turn on results. I also received confirmation from the Bonaire public health department that an antigen test result taken before my PHX flight will be accepted.

I just need clarification on XpressCheck's rapid test type and if the results indicate it as an antigen......that, and that AA does not cancel the flight!

Question: Has anyone received a test from XpressCheck at an airport for the "Rapid Molecular COVID Test"? If so, is this an antigen test?

I've asked XpressCheck for clarification but as of yet, I've yet to receive a response. I'm still booked for a PHX-MIA--BON hop on March 20th, have a PCR test reserved from SonoraQuest within the 72-hr window with assurances of a 48-hr turn on results. I also received confirmation from the Bonaire public health department that an antigen test result taken before my PHX flight will be accepted.

I just need clarification on XpressCheck's rapid test type and if the results indicate it as an antigen......that, and that AA does not cancel the flight!
Rapid Testing
This article says an antigen test and a rapid molecular test are NOT the same.
upload_2021-2-16_21-7-55.png

Rapid Testing
This article says an antigen test and a rapid molecular test are NOT the same.
View attachment 642534

Right, and that's my point. Some rapid tests are antigen tests, but not all antigen tests are rapid. It's the mix of terms that creates confusion and makes it difficult for consumers to adhere to guidelines. For instance, a PCR test is a molecular test too, but in this cited instance, the usage of the term "rapid" and the description implies that it's not a PCR test and could be an antigen test, which leads me back to my original question. Simply put, the majority of rapid diagnostic tests out there have been antigen tests. But I can't run on assumptions.

Still looking for anyone who has knowledge of the specific test I'm inquiring about through XpressCheck.

Right, and that's my point. Some rapid tests are antigen tests, but not all antigen tests are rapid. It's the mix of terms that creates confusion and makes it difficult for consumers to adhere to guidelines. For instance, a PCR test is a molecular test too, but in this cited instance, the usage of the term "rapid" and the description implies that it's not a PCR test and could be an antigen test, which leads me back to my original question. Simply put, the majority of rapid diagnostic tests out there have been antigen tests. But I can't run on assumptions.

Still looking for anyone who has knowledge of the specific test I'm inquiring about through XpressCheck.
While you are waiting for XpressCheck to respond, they advertise their rapid test as the molecular test, specifically the Abbott ID Now test. This is not an antigen test.

XpresCheck COVID-19 Testing

“XpresCheck offers onsite COVID-19 testing including a Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Test, a Blood Antibody Test, and the Rapid Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 test with results while you wait.”

But per the Netherlands website the 4 hour rapid test can be molecular or antigen.

Mandatory negative COVID-19 test results and declaration

The document must include the following information:

• Type of test: the test used must be a rapid antigen or molecular test (NAAT, TMA, LAMP or PCR test). A blood test is not sufficient.
  • Test result: the test result must be negative (or ‘not detected’) for SARS-CoV-2.
  • Your given name and surname as stated in your passport.
  • Date and time of test: for passengers, the test sample must have been collected no more than 4 hours prior to boarding the aircraft or ferry. For transport workers travelling by ferry, the test sample must have been collected no more than 24 hours prior to boarding the ferry.
  • Logo, stamp or details of the institute or laboratory that conducted the test.
Either a digital or paper copy of the test result may be shown.

Results from self-tests are not sufficient.

Confirmed....XpressCheck is useless for a Bonaire run. On the bright side, AA just cancelled all MAR flights out of MIA to BON, so we're now going through CUR which has in airport antigen testing that BON will accept.

I flew United back to the US from Mexico on Tuesday. I was scheduled to take an antigen test at a hospital there but a few weeks prior to the return United sent a link for Abbott Lab BinaxNOW rapid test which we took. Self-administered with a proctor, results are then uploaded the night before the return flight to United. Buy the kits, bring them with you, take the test the required days/hours before the flight.

From Abbott's website:

BinaxNOW is a rapid test that detects COVID-19 antigens (the proteins that make up the virus) to help identify someone is currently infected. It is easy-to-use, provides fast results and can help healthcare professionals quickly identify infectious people so they can take measures to help prevent the spread of the disease to others.

Everything needed to perform the BinaxNOW antigen test is included in a credit-card-sized kit, which lets authorized healthcare providers (such as a school nurse) test quickly and easily.

The BinaxNOW test has been authorized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration through its Emergency Use Authorization process and is intended to identify antigen from SARS-CoV-2 in a nasal swab. For complete information on the BinaxNOW test, visit https://www.fda.gov/media/141570/download.

Looks like it’s back to you, Tursiops. Cases on the rise again and UK mutation suspected, per Bonaire.nu. At least vaccines for the whole adult population were delivered a couple of days ago. But still.

Mid-February report on Covid status in Bonaire.
Things are looking pretty good! The Christmas/New-Year's surge seems under control, restrictions are at a moderate level, and nationwide vaccinations are beginning, to be completed by June, perhaps, in time for the resumption of flights from the US by United and Delta.
The remaining major obstacle for US divers is the Netherlands-imposed antigen test within 4h of your departure for Bonaire, which has severely limited US travel except via Aruba or Curacao.
View attachment 642518

View attachment 642519
Good info to have! Where did this data come from? Bonaire by chance?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom