Wing comparison advice wanted...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

have to use an STA with them though which is annoying

Or not. I prefer an STA. Easier to break down all the pieces after a dive to put in my dive bag. Easier to swap tanks on a rocking boat. Personal preference for sure.

Or not. I prefer an STA. Easier to break down all the pieces after a dive to put in my dive bag. Easier to swap tanks on a rocking boat. Personal preference for sure.

I agree, I'd rather swap single tanks, each with their own STA, rather than sliding cam bands up and down the tanks. But indeed, different strokes!

The VDH wing specs say the grommet holes are at 9.5" and 12" will their wing fit a plate or soft pac that has standard 11" spacing?

it will fit standard backplates yes. The soft pac's may have different cam band spacing though so while it will fit the bolt holes to use with an STA, that's about the only time you actually use bolt holes with a single tank wing.

Yes but that doesn't bother me, personal preference.

I agree, I'd rather swap single tanks, each with their own STA, rather than sliding cam bands up and down the tanks. But indeed, different strokes!

I generally agree with that, though most of my single tank diving is with a double hose which you really don't want to use with an STA. It's nice to have them when you want them, but annoying to require them if you are trying to travel with it as the STA's weigh 2lbs on their own. I have more hours on an Eclipse 30 than probably any other rig since it is what we teach/train with at the university, but it is nice to have the flexibility when you want it.

I've had great service from my Oxycheq 18# single wing for my warm water setup, with my stainless steel backplate. No complaints. No signs of wear, even.

1-crappy company
2-crappy company
3-made in USA by the same people that make Dive Rite wings
4-I love the Vintage Double Hose wings which are similar to the Oxycheq's. I have one of each and they're way higher quality than any of the three above but are a bit heavy for travel. I recently got a Deep6 single tank wing and @LandonL and @cerich did a great job on that and it's quick dry which is also really nice

I have a VDH wing as well, it is a great wing, but they have not been in stock for a while and won’t for a while more so not really a viable option, as much as I like supporting the small guy.

I have a VDH wing as well, it is a great wing, but they have not been in stock for a while and won’t for a while more so not really a viable option, as much as I like supporting the small guy.

Oxycheq is a one-man business in the back woods of Florida too, so that's still the "small guy"

Several years ago I mentioned that I'd been waiting 6+ weeks for a Finnish company to deliver the OxyCheq wing I ordered. A couple hours later a Patrick from OxyCheq offered to sell me wanted I wanted to ship from Fla immediately. Wow, now that's service. I love my OxyCheq wing; bought one for the kid too.

I have a VDH and my son has a newer DGX wing. Both single tank 30+ lbs of lift each. His is nice, I think I like the VDH just a hair better, but for no reason than maybe it was my first.

In reality, I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference blindfolded underwater.

What's your opinion on these cheap Chinese wings available on Aliexpress around 135 USD?
US $133.92 48% OFF|Professional 30lbs Snorkeling Tech Dive Donut Wing with Single Tube Scuba Diving BCD Spearfishing Buoyancy Compensator Gear Red|Pool & Accessories| - AliExpress
It looks almost identical to my one, which costed twice form an Italian "maker" (probably they simply apply their logo on the very same Chinese wing)...
Professional-30lbs-Snorkeling-Tech-Dive-Donut-Wing-with-Single-Tube-Scuba-Diving-BCD-Spearfishing-Buoyancy-Compensator.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom