Servicing your own regulators

Would you take a Manufacturer Approved Class on regulator servicing if offered?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

depends on the regulator and what's wrong with it. If you have Apeks style regulators, then servicing in the field is really easy and I've done it while travelling. Poseidon requires a few extra special tools that are annoying to bring with you. People advocate buying Apeks/Aqualung/Scubapro because of global service if the reg fails despite that actually being a really stupid idea that is fraught with flaws, but if they argue for that, why wouldn't you self service if it was something minor like a HP seat failure. You can easily just swap the HP seat without a full service and be back on your way in about 20 minutes. I personally prefer to just bring a spare regulator, but if I was doing a month long trip somewhere remote then I would bring the tools to service myself. It's a couple allen keys, an adjustable wrench, an IP gauge, some o-ring picks, some lube, and a pin spanner. Pretty inconsequential in the grand scheme of packing.
I would hazard guess that you are not the average diver :)

I would hazard guess that you are not the average diver :)

depends on which group of divers you're looking at :p

but even still though, the argument about having people service regs in a rush job when travelling is bullsh!t and you're far better off carrying a spare regulator with you anyway, but if you are trained to service the regulators then it is not ridiculous to think that you could service it in the hotel room. I'm sure @The Chairman and @rsingler have done weirder things when servicing regs, I know I have, but it really just isn't that crazy. Now I'll probably do a full service properly when I get home, especially if the regs are supposed to be O2 cleaned, but that's besides the point.

So a little off but still mostly on topic. Which regs are essentially the same which you get them apart? In other words if you take X class you will be able reasonability service X Y and Z regs?

So a little off but still mostly on topic. Which regs are essentially the same which you get them apart? In other words if you take X class you will be able reasonability service X Y and Z regs?
They are a LOT of similarities between regs and if you were mechanically inclined you could probably apply broad strokes quite well. The Scubapro R095 and Aqualung Titan 2nd stage are damn near identical. But try figuring out a Sherwood SR 1st stage after working on another brand and watch your head spin.

Manufactures will have their own specific finicky doodads and procedures they like to throw in that could easily lead to confusion. Luckily there's always the internet for service manuals and schematics

Not everyone has the technical skills to survive their own regs.
But, that's why you take the class, eh?

Every technical diver should be able to rebuild their own regs, in my estimation. They need to know what causes what and when they need to go into their reg. Hell, I've had to partially disassemble both 2nd stage regs in Peacock because they had trash in the exhaust valve. Climbing out at Cisteen Sink wasn't much of an option. Fact is, I had to rebuild the first regs I ever breathed on as part of my class back in 1969. If a 12-year-old can do it, why can't you? Just as I would never allow someone to set up my gear for diving, I'm certainly not going to let anyone but me touch my regs. It's not that I don't trust them... I just don't trust anyone to touch my life support equipment. Keep ya paws off! :D :D :D

I'm 100% self-taught in reg repair (with a lot of help from friends and strangers answering my questions as they crop up). All started when a LDS left a 2nd stage diaphragm out of a reg they serviced for me. Haven't found a regulator yet I haven't been able to overhaul and make work great. Just takes time and patience and a tad bit of common sense. :)

Every technical diver should be able to rebuild their own regs, in my estimation. They need to know what causes what and when they need to go into their reg. Hell, I've had to partially disassemble both 2nd stage regs in Peacock because they had trash in the exhaust valve. Climbing out at Cisteen Sink wasn't much of an option. Fact is, I had to rebuild the first regs I ever breathed on as part of my class back in 1969. If a 12-year-old can do it, why can't you? Just as I would never allow someone to set up my gear for diving, I'm certainly not going to let anyone but me touch my regs. It's not that I don't trust them... I just don't trust anyone to touch my life support equipment. Keep ya paws off! :D :D :D

I agree I don't travel right now mostly because of life stuff. I was chatting with the owner of one of my local shops and she was saying about how there favorite dive resort will assemble their gear and have waiting on the boat when they board fully set up, I was like, nope I put my own gear together, it's my life.

I dive apeks and aqualung regs. In order to take there class I have to be a shop employee so can't do it. If I take a HOG or deep6 class are they close enough to teach me to also do my regs?

I am not mechanically inclined. I can take my handguns apart for cleaning. I've had too many spring and little pieces go flying. There are too danged many wee bits in regs for me to feel comfortable doing my own servicing.

The other manufacturers need to stop trying to use equipment service to drive business into local dive stores

What a terrible thing they are doing, shame on them for trying to support their dealers. What a horrible monsters these manufacturers are indeed!!

Back
Top Bottom