Wing comparison advice wanted...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's your opinion on these cheap Chinese wings available on Aliexpress around 135 USD?
US $133.92 48% OFF|Professional 30lbs Snorkeling Tech Dive Donut Wing with Single Tube Scuba Diving BCD Spearfishing Buoyancy Compensator Gear Red|Pool & Accessories| - AliExpress
It looks almost identical to my one, which costed twice form an Italian "maker" (probably they simply apply their logo on the very same Chinese wing)...
Professional-30lbs-Snorkeling-Tech-Dive-Donut-Wing-with-Single-Tube-Scuba-Diving-BCD-Spearfishing-Buoyancy-Compensator.jpg

while it it possible that the wing is manufactured by the same folks that make your brand name wing there is no guarantee of that. A good company will have a quality assurance/inspection program with an outsourced manufacturer that ensured the product meets their quality standard (whatever that may be). If you buy direct from a manufacture you do not know you have no way of knowing what quality standards the product meets...seems like a pretty big risk for something that is so important to your safety while diving.

There have been a couple members who tried these "Chinese wings" either from eBay or alibaba. I think the consensus is they are acceptable quality - although no long term or "hard use" reports. Probably they are ok for basic needs.

Unbranded "Scuba Diving Donut Wing"

BCD on Alixpress - the Chinese answer to Halcyon

I’ve been lucky enough to find used US made stuff and didn’t try the knockoffs, but I would have no problem using these if the other choice was buying from an importer with an outrageous markup.

I understand the risk of buying unbranded, uncontrolled equipment for life-supporting applications, such as a reg or a diving computer.
But for a single-tank wing, which stays almost empty for most of the dive?
The parts employed seem to be exactly the same of my "branded" wing, and they are the very same used by other "manufacturers".
Without a proper QC there is the risk that these parts have not been assembled or sealed properly, but this is something which I can check myself before using the device in open water, testing the system on the bench and in the pool.
I am quite sure that my QC will be more severe than the one performed by the manufacturer...
Said that, till now I always purchased top-brand equipment. Only recently I started evaluating those cheap chinese alternatives, after some good experiences with devices such as LED lights...
Still I do not think I will try a Chinese regulator, but for a not-critical device such as a wing, perhaps it is time to try.
I just asked if anyone else did take this risk and what was the outcome...

My singles wings of choice are, in order, VDH/DGX/Oxy.

As to production, I believe the sewing shop for all of them is here in Upstate New York.

Not quite, though DGX and Dive Rite are made in Schenectady

thought Oxy was sewn there too (is or formerly was known as Tough Traveler - I lived right by them when they started)

P.S. - you got the spelling!

thought Oxy was sewn there too (is or formerly was known as Tough Traveler - I lived right by them when they started)

P.S. - you got the spelling!

Dive Rite and DGX are made by Saratoga Horse Works. HOGs original wings were as well. Not open to public and don't sell directly for dive gear

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom