How to answer "what is your highest certification level"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Generally with normal type dive operators in the Keys if you show them AOW+Nitrox cards you can go on any dive they typically go to.

Spiegel Grove, Duane, Bibb, Adolphus Busch, Vandenburg, Eagle, Thunderbolt, Cayman Salvager.

Generally with normal type dive operators in the Keys if you show them AOW+Nitrox cards you can go on any dive they typically go to.

Spiegel Grove, Duane, Bibb, Adolphus Busch, Vandenburg, Eagle, Thunderbolt, Cayman Salvager.
@Capt Jim Wyatt is right on.

I'm generally a recreational diver. I have a PADI card from 2004 that shows the combo of Rescue and Nitrox, I don't think they offer the combo card anymore. It's the only card I generally show anywhere in the world.

I take my Solo card if I intend to dive solo and the operator does not know me. I have taken my DPV card on a few occasions when I wanted to rent a scooter, to avoid having to do a check out dive first. Nobody has ever cared to see my Deep card, I don't carry it, AOW seems sufficient for rec limits.

If it’s at one of the regional quarries that allows solo, I show that card. Even if I don’t want to dive solo, having it on record is good. On Great Lakes boats, I’ve shown my Advanced card. Never my Nitrox card. The boats here don’t seem to care about it for recreational divers. Maybe because we supply our own tanks?

That's always been a sticky wicket as I have a stack of cards at least an inch and a half tall. I generally just carry my cave card and trimix card. I generally also dive a home made MCCR. They don't ask and I don't tell. The guy at the desk taking your money only wants a card of sufficient standing for the dive you are paying for. The boat guys generally don't have a clue.

My YMCA Scuba Diver card gives them pause too, especially most of the younger than 40 crowd.....
I used to occasionally show my 1970 LA County Scuba Diver card. It led to some interesting conversations

upload_2021-2-21_8-49-12.png

I think it's key to try and turn the conversation into just that, they're not trying to be nosey, or anything. In my experience, DM's are trying to figure out who they're going to have to babysit, and who is a self licking ice cream cone.

I concur.

However during my trip to Oz a few years back, on my second day's diving on SS Yongala, I was buddied with a young(ish) lady as my daughter had been too seasick the previous day to dive again, for the sole reason she was the only other diver on Nitrox.

My buddy went OOG on me after 20 mins. Fortunately I managed to pass her off to one of the dive team to take her to the surface and continued to dive for another 30 mins solo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom