Boat Diving Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Set up and test your gear before you leave the dock, this is the easiest time to do it and the best time to resolve problems. Get, or start getting your wetsuit on before you leave the dock, much easier to do than in heavy seas, and you won't keep others waiting. Be absolutely ready when the 10 min warning is given, the rest of us hate waiting for you. Do your last valve is open check. Dive, dive, dive.

I’d add - big hard sided rolling bags are for travel. They do NOT belong on the boat. They take up too damn much room. You need a mesh bag for the boat.
Wouldn’t that depend if the boat has plenty storage space or not?

Added by my daughter - Don't expect your left behind pieces of equipment to be returned to you.... Even if you were the last trip of the day, and the first the next day...

It will be replaced with junk...

Know where to park. Don't expect to drive right up to the boat to drop off your gear.

Find out if the DM is part of the crew or working for whoever chartered the boat. DM's who work for the charter don't share in the boat crew tips.

Don't walk on the deck with fins on unless you are told to do so.

Don't sit in someone's assigned spot on the bench. I've seen many divers trying to get out of their gear only to find someone sitting in their spot chatting away.

Don't blow air at your dust cap on the deck. If you need to remove water from a dust cap, use a towel.

When considering what to leave for a tip, remember that some crew members are there an hour or so before the first customer has boarded, they are working while you are diving, they are working while you are relaxing on the ride home, and they are often working for another hour after you leave. Their pay usually works out to well below minimum wage.

Good list. Let me add a few I didn't see:

Dont throw your masks in the camera bucket (pre-covid)
Dont be a jerk to people that throw their masks in the camera bucket (you should be taking care of your orings already)
Dont rinse your gear with the hot shower on deck
Keep your tank secured. No one wants a cylinder crashing on their foot.
Dont track a whole bunch of sand onto the boat. There is usually a place to rinse them off before boarding
When coming to the dock, watch for captain/crew instructions. They sometimes want/need everyone seated.

Get your first tank set up and make sure everything is working before the boat leaves the pier. The crew has access to some spares, but their ability to save your dive from equipment issues goes down once the lines are put over.

If you're new to boat diving, show up even earlier and let the crew know about your inexperience so they can watch for ways to make your day easier.

Whether you brought your own buddy or were assigned an insta-buddy, do all the self and buddy checks you learned in your training. Don't let the boat's routine keep you from managing your dive safely.

Don't feel like there's rush to get into the water just because everyone is moving aft. It's better to take a few extra seconds at your seat to make sure you have everything secured and ready than to be the diver who rushes to the platform with stuff in each hand and no fins on.

If you need help or have a concern or need something, ask the crew. We really want you to have a good day, so give us a chance to address anything that is keeping you from enjoying yourself.

Set up and test your gear before you leave the dock, this is the easiest time to do it and the best time to resolve problems. Get, or start getting your wetsuit on before you leave the dock, much easier to do than in heavy seas, and you won't keep others waiting. Be absolutely ready when the 10 min warning is given, the rest of us hate waiting for you. Do your last valve is open check. Dive, dive, dive.
Regarding putting the wetsuit (or drysuit) on or partially on at the dock-- I can see that this could be undesirable in weather that is either too hot or too cold.

Added by my daughter - Don't expect your left behind pieces of equipment to be returned to you.... Even if you were the last trip of the day, and the first the next day...

It will be replaced with junk...

No, no, no. The exhortation should be, "Don't leave any of your gear behind. We don't want your masks, fins, or anything else. We have too much unclaimed junk already. Take everything with you."

Apparently not....

I would especially like to emphasize points 1-27! Great post Capt Jim!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom