Boat Diving Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn’t that depend if the boat has plenty storage space or not?
There is no boat on this planet that has "plenty of storage" for hard sided luggage. Maybe a 12 person boat with only 4 people aboard has some spare bunks to put your giant suitcase, but don't count on it.

Wouldn’t that depend if the boat has plenty storage space or not?

I’m not talking about liveaboards, but day boats. Imagine someone showing up for a charter on a 6 pack with one of those big bags. I’d always make sure to point out the mesh or canvas bags everyone else has to the big bag offender.

Get your first tank set up and make sure everything is working before the boat leaves the pier...

I nearly always have rental cylinders on the boat. The first thing I do, before setting up my equipment, is to check the fill pressures and O-rings of all my tanks with my regulator. I also analyze the gas if the analyzer is available. It's much easier to do something to correct a problem, the earlier you know about it. Sometimes it's handy to know the fill pressures to plan the order of use.

Don't go the dive platform until you are actually ready to jump in. It is very annoying when people rush to the platform to jump in first, but they still have straps and stuff to adjust .... holding up all the boat.

There is no boat on this planet that has "plenty of storage" for hard sided luggage. Maybe a 12 person boat with only 4 people aboard has some spare bunks to put your giant suitcase, but don't count on it.
There some day boats here that even have a hot tub. Folks usually store their luggage on the upper deck out of the way. Never seems an issue or bother anyone. I usually assemble stuff at the car and carry my gear assembled though. spectre dive boat - Google Search

There's only one upside to being really annoying, loud, and braggadocious on the boat is, you'll never get left behind -- if you ever go missing, everyone will know without having to check the name-board, 'cause it'll actually be fairly quiet on the dive deck.

Downside is they won't be all that happy to have you back aboard ;-)

There's only one upside to being really annoying, loud, and braggadocious on the boat is, you'll never get left behind -- if you ever go missing, everyone will know without having to check the name-board, 'cause it'll actually be fairly quiet on the dive deck.

Downside is they won't be all that happy to have you back aboard ;-)

True, though I prefer to be unforgettable due to my happy, helpful and kind character.
Even a wacky appearance works!
20210112_130753.jpg

CHEERS!!

As for #27, in the immortal words of Bart Simpson: "I can't promise I'll try, but I'll try to try."

You know there's this funny phenomenon with diving and boats. No matter how many people are on the boat, the boat is always full. Even with only 4 divers on a 12 diver boat (which I had the other day).
Zoological fact: Divers are like gold fish and bearded dragons. They expand to the limits of the space they are given.

Back
Top Bottom