What solo cert do you have, has it ever been turned down?

What solo cert do you have, has it ever been turned down?

• PADI Self-Reliant Diver, never turned down

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • PADI Self-Reliant Diver, turned down

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • SDI Solo Diver, never turned down

Votes: 50 34.2%
  • SDI Solo Diver, turned down

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Other agency, designate in post, never turned down

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other agency, designate in post, turned down

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Solo dive, not certified, never turned down

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • Solo dive, not certified, turned down

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see someone had their PADI card turned down. I would like to know the circumstances. I read on SB there was a quarry someplace that rejects them. I've never had mine questioned as long as solo is allowed. Mine came in handy in of all places Bonaire. I went to rent a pony rig and was getting funny looks from staff until I whipped out my card then all was fine. :) I'm pretty sure they would have rented it to me anyway, but the card gave everybody warm fuzzies. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

ANDI solo cert. Have never had it turned down where solo diving was permitted. Lots of places don’t allow solo in any circumstance, usually takes a dive or two and then I am off on my own and nobody cares.
What year did you get that card? I used to be an ANDI instructor back i the day. I asked our regional training director about running a class for a client and he said ANDI has a solo cert but it was implied with the L2 TSD cert.

I just recently had someone ask what I was diving with in addition to me showing him the card. He was fine when I told him doubles. He photocopied the card. Fair enough; for his liability protection. For years we hid solo diving. Now it appears to becoming more accepted. I thank SDI for that.

ANDI solo cert. Have never had it turned down where solo diving was permitted. Lots of places don’t allow solo in any circumstance, usually takes a dive or two and then I am off on my own and nobody cares.
Hi @Darnold9999

Did you vote in the poll? I don't see any votes for "Other agency"

Thanks

Extra liability protection for operators goes a long way especially when an agency is vouching for it.

folks did a lot of cave diving before there were certifications too...and a lot of people died. Standardizing procedures and language is probably a good thing.

SDI Solo...and a SDI Solo instructor. I got turned down by Dive Duck Key. They had only one other diver on their boat that day doing a spearing class. They would not let me dive solo. Offered a discounted rate to pay one of their instructors to dive with me. As i live in Florida and dive a lot, it was not anything that i'd pay extra for.

Needless to say, that operation is now dead to me.

SDI card; never been turned down. Most of my 'solo' diving has been in situations where the operator knew me reasonably well.

What year did you get that card? I used to be an ANDI instructor back i the day. I asked our regional training director about running a class for a client and he said ANDI has a solo cert but it was implied with the L2 TSD cert.
Quite a while ago - 2006 from Ocean Quest

Back
Top Bottom