What solo cert do you have, has it ever been turned down?

What solo cert do you have, has it ever been turned down?

• PADI Self-Reliant Diver, never turned down

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • PADI Self-Reliant Diver, turned down

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • SDI Solo Diver, never turned down

Votes: 50 34.2%
  • SDI Solo Diver, turned down

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Other agency, designate in post, never turned down

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other agency, designate in post, turned down

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Solo dive, not certified, never turned down

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • Solo dive, not certified, turned down

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never been on a boat that allowed divers to begin the dive solo.
Been on plenty of boats where buddies got separated by accident and finished the dive solo.

I've never been on a boat that allowed divers to begin the dive solo.
Been on plenty of boats where buddies got separated by accident and finished the dive solo.
Ditto that, except it is not by accident sometimes for me, I just refuse to fin like a 'bat out of hell' to catch up to some diver [or divers] I don't know, who do not give you a 2nd look, don't want to stay within site to me, I am fine with that.
I find I am still doing a [call it a safety] stop and they are at the exit point above or, who cares.
I solo dive, and have for years, I just do not have the "card" for it. I have the training and time underwater , but not from a civilian 'agency'.

SDI Solo. Never had the cert question.

More common problem is having a dive op not knowing their own solo policies. One dive op on Curacao that specifically has a solo diving policy on their website and who I had solo dived with before told me on my last trip that they don't permit solo diving. My response was yes you do. Their response was no we dont and never have. My response yes you do, I did on my trip last year with you and it is specifically allowed on your website. The employee had to look it up. After a few minutes and a frown, I was told that it is only permitted if properly equipped. I pointed to my pony with reg attached to my bc. I also dive with a second computer, depth gauge and watch. The employee, less than happy, grumbled something, walked away. Came back minutes later and wanted to know where my spare mask was. I told her the spare mask was a recommendation and not a requirement. A minute of thought and then I received an unhappy ok and the employee walked away.

Another dive op on CUR who I have solo dived with many times, has a clear no solo diving policy on their website. When I solo dive with them I show them solo cert and confirm I have redundant air and I am on my way. I asked them why if they permit solo diving why they have a no solo diving policy posted. The answer was we just don't want to encourage solo diving.

Nice thread to read. I have to do it soon as travel to some locations may require it in order to dive solo.
I don''t know if places like Cayman Islands will honor this. I was denied several times in the past when I tried to dive solo.

I don''t know if places like Cayman Islands will honor this. I was denied several times in the past when I tried to dive solo
This could be a whole new thread by itself (except for the fact there have been threads on just this subject). The short answer is no solo diving on Cayman IF diving through a dive op or at their location. If you can get access to tanks and dive privately on a non dive op site it can be done. Cayman is not a solo friendly dive destination for dive travelers.

Nice thread to read. I have to do it soon as travel to some locations may require it in order to dive solo.
I don''t know if places like Cayman Islands will honor this. I was denied several times in the past when I tried to dive solo.
Solo diving in the Caymans is still prohibited by CITA . It appears that the topic is being addressed. There is some hope that solo diving in the Caymans may be allowed someday Cayman’s dive industry fights to stay afloat I have done many very good shore dives off Grand Cayman and would love the opportunity to dive solo.

Following a visit to Cayman Brac, I corresponded with the folks at Scuba Shack and was informed that they would allow solo diving as long as I supplied my own pony Shore diving on Cayman Brac? If I am lucky enough to return to Brac, I would take advantage of the many shore diving sites Shore diving on Cayman Brac?

Yes; I am aware that this has been discussed before.
Even on Bonaire, there might be some issues but as posters have mentioned in other posts and threads, the Solo Diver Certification may have been their ticket to being able to rent tanks and dive solo.

Personally, I enjoy diving with my friends more than solo diving. But solo diving can also be a very blissful experience.

Did my Solo cert in Bon with Walt and glad I did. I found the instruction useful and having the cert makes solo diving easier in places that are open to it which for me is Bonaire and Curacao (and Grand Cayman when no one is watching :)) .

I've been solo diving for years, but always at locations with public access where I didn't have to get permission. I didn't really consider solo diving off boats or at commercial sites due to the stigma associated with solo diving and the belief that I just wouldn't be allowed to do it. The only time I was able to dive solo on a charter before getting my SDI card was when I worked as a DM and the charter boats knew me well enough to just let me do my own thing.

I recently decided to get my SDI Solo cert as it seemed there was a change in attitudes to solo diving and the cert seemed to be the avenue to dive solo with the mainstream charters.

Since then I have only got to use my new Solo card once (with Horizon divers in Key Largo....a GREAT experience!). But it was a nice feeling to be be able to solo dive off a boat and to not feel like I was doing something wrong! It made me want to reach out and see what other operations / locations accept the card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom