Failed Hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Dammit.... it finally happened. I took 4 tanks in to be tested. 2 LP85's, and 2 HP80's. One of the 80's failed. I pulled the valves off all and inspected inside for anything out of the ordinary beforehand... not a spot. Clean as a whistle... looked brand new.

I haven't picked them up yet and don't have the paperwork, but that's nuts. The tanks were bought used, left pressurized. Last hydro was 2009 I believe.

The place I took them to is pretty reputable, so I don't think it's them... just sucks. I took them to
Cylinder Sales and Testing - Home

As far as I know that's where all the local shops take them.

On the bright side if I had to choose to have one fail I would have wanted it to be one of the 80's for sure. I'll post paperwork on why it failed when I get it. I just needed to blow off some steam...

What type of HP80?
Galv PST-3500s, Faber FX80 3442s ...
I know the PSTs (at least) have specific, non-standard testing procedures required to get an accurate result. Maybe worth a phone call to them to confirm in case thy haven't Xed it out yet.

I'm pretty sure they were Galv PST 3500. Do you know what specifically that procedure is called? I know it's a "round out procedure", but I'm looking for documentation.

I've seen it posted on here before, but can't find it.

Edit: I'm lying, I think they're PST 3442's... I thought I had found the email with the info in it from when I bought them, but it was the wrong email. Apologies.

I know they are galv and have 3/4" threads. I believe they are PST E7 80's.

I'm pretty sure they were Galv PST 3500. Do you know what specifically that procedure is called? I know it's a "round out procedure", but I'm looking for documentation.

I've seen it posted on here before, but can't find it.

Edit: I'm lying, I think they're XS Scuba 3442's... I thought I had found the email with the info in it from when I bought them, but it was the wrong email. Apologies.

I know they are galv and have 3/4" threads. I believe they are PST E7 80's.

Does the valve top have a weird bend to it? I think those are the older ones.

Does the valve top have a weird bend to it? I think those are the older ones.

You mean with the valve angled slightly towards the ground? No, these were normal.

I talked to the guy at the hydro shop. The tank has already been XXX'd. He said it "overexpanded by 2psi". I also asked him if they did the round out procedure... he said they did but since I don't know what I'm talking about I'm no good to ask questions beyond that.

Thanks. I'm 99% sure mine are PST 3442psi, that's great. I'll have something to print and take down there.

Sympathies. At least it wasn't one of the 85's.

Thanks. I'm not even sure what I would have used the HP80's for except maybe the kids. I'm VERY grateful it wasn't one of the LP85's, they are from a set of doubles that I just bought. That would have been a bad day.

You mean with the valve angled slightly towards the ground? No, these were normal.

I talked to the guy at the hydro shop. The tank has already been XXX'd. He said it "overexpanded by 2psi". I also asked him if they did the round out procedure... he said they did but since I don't know what I'm talking about I'm no good to ask questions beyond that.
I'm sorry. That stinks!

I'm sorry. That stinks!

Yes it does. I need to read more about hydro testing. I hate not being able to talk "the talk" and know what I'm talking about. I will print out the PST D100 to take with me and make sure that's what they did. I also don't want to be a pain in the butt if they did it correctly by not knowing what I'm talking about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom