Most accurate H20 temp website (CZM)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking at two water temp websites and am wondering which is closest to what divers are actually seeing on their dive computers. There's quite a difference. If you're diving and care to chime in I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks!

Sea Temperature Info - 80.6

World Weather - 83.8

water temps where i live are in the mid to high 30's so either way, 80 to 84F sounds pretty warm.

I'm looking at two water temp websites and am wondering which is closest to what divers are actually seeing on their dive computers. There's quite a difference. If you're diving and care to chime in I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks!

Sea Temperature Info - 80.6

World Weather - 83.8
Sea water temperature. Surface temperatures on the coasts is a reputable website, which explains how it gets its data.
A similar site is World Water Temperature | Sea Temperatures.
Both work from satellite-based sea-surface temperature.

I see nothing to make me think your second link is credible; it may be based on the report of a single resort, for example, which are often wrong, usually biased high because that sells better.

Beware reports from individual divers; they are usually reporting what their dive computers say, which have a dubious accuracy, typically +/- 4 deg F. Shearwater doesn't even give a temperature accuracy in its specifications for the Perdix or the Teric!

I've calibrated my several dive computers and find my Teric reads 2 F high, my Oceanic OC1 reads 4 F low, and my Deep6 Excursion is spot on.

Another factor is the time-constant for the temperature sensor buried in a dive computer; it can easily take 5 minutes or more for the measured temperature to come into equilibrium with the environment it is in.

Another factor is the time-constant for the temperature sensor buried in a dive computer; it can easily take 5 minutes or more for the measured temperature to come into equilibrium with the environment it is in.

Kind of like my car!! Thanks!

Kind of already been answered, but my computer yesterday showed 80 degrees, which feels about right within a degree or so. Definitely true that 3 different computers will show 3 different temps--mine usually seems reasonably accurate, but that is more luck of the draw than quality of my computer.

No way it was 83.8 (way too high for February). It doesn't feel almost 84 and I haven't seen that number in a while on my others computers. That would also be a giant warning sign because if it were 84 in Feb that would mean the coral would be cooking by summer.

Viz yesterday down at Palancar was really nice btw (had to be well more than 100 ft). Wasn't as great at Yucab because current was going backwards which is almost always bad for viz (maybe 70-80 feet). Only bad thing is that while captain saw a few eagle rays on the surface we didn't see them underwater. Would have just told him to stop so I could have backrolled over and free dove, but I forgot my snorkel.

you could always just dip your toes in. :)

you could always just dip your toes in. :)

My legs/toes don't reach from Missouri, Mr Smarty Pants!! Trying to decide if I need rash guard or 5 mil next month. :wink: And it would be nice to have a 'go-to' site for the future.

My legs/toes don't reach from Missouri, Mr Smarty Pants!! Trying to decide if I need rash guard or 5 mil next month. :wink: And it would be nice to have a 'go-to' site for the future.
Everyone's subjective perception of temperature is different; 'tis better to have and not need than to need and not have. Bring your 5 mil.

Back
Top Bottom