Suunto SK8 bungee mount advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anchochile

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got the SK8 compass with bungee mount. I followed Suunto's video instructions for setting up the bungee, but I'm not thrilled with it for a few reasons:

1. It's not easily adjustable for different thicknesses of wetsuits
  2. One of the knots sits under the compass, so when worn on the wrist, it digs painfully into my arm
Can anyone offer advice on how to best set up the bungee mount so that it can be adjusted to different wetsuit thicknesses?

Also, I will most often use it with a 7mm suit, so it needs to be tight enough to stay snug at depth when the suit is compressed, but still be possible to slip on and off over my hand at the surface before and after dives.

Any advice?

Just got the SK8 compass with bungee mount. I followed Suunto's video instructions for setting up the bungee, but I'm not thrilled with it for a few reasons:

1. It's not easily adjustable for different thicknesses of wetsuits
  2. One of the knots sits under the compass, so when worn on the wrist, it digs painfully into my arm
Can anyone offer advice on how to best set up the bungee mount so that it can be adjusted to different wetsuit thicknesses?

Also, I will most often use it with a 7mm suit, so it needs to be tight enough to stay snug at depth when the suit is compressed, but still be possible to slip on and off over my hand at the surface before and after dives.

Any advice?

Just went through this a couple of months ago switching from retractor to bungee mount on back of hand...give me a few minutes and I will take some photos of my setup.

-Z

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

Last edited:
I got this idea from another diver on this SB...I think it was T-bone. Here are written directions on how to string the bungee to go along with the photos:

1. situate the compass in front of you so that the side window is facing you.
2. looking down at the compass in the bungee mount note there are 2 pairs of holes on each side.
3. mentally number the holes clockwise beginning on with the holes on the right hand side and the hole farthest away from you.
4. tie an overhand not in one end of the bungee chord.
5. thread the bungee through hole number 2, so that the knot rests on top of the hole.
6. thread the bungee up through hole 3, then down through hole 4.
7. thread the bungee up through hole 1......you have now formed the loop that will go over your index and middle fingers when wearing the compass on the back of your hand.
8. note the groove in the mount on the back side of the compass below the bezel. The bungee will follow in this groove and thread down through hole 8.
9. thread the bungee up through hole 6 and down through hole 5.
10. Tie a double fisherman's knot using the end of the bungee that you just threaded through hole 5, around the segment that is threaded up through hole 6.....This forms an adjustable wrist loop..

Notes:
*Hole 7 will not have any bungee threaded through it.
*You can adjust the side of the finger and wrist loops by moving the bungee in the groove on the backside of the mount and then taking up or creating slack by sliding the double fisherman's knot on the wrist loop.

Let me know if you have any questions or if any of the steps need to be clarified.

-Z

Just to clarify....this is for wearing the compass on the back of the LEFT hand.

It is traditional to wear the compass on the left as the computer is traditionally worn on the right wrist/forearm so that when ascending one can keep an eye on their computer/ascent rate while controlling the inflator hose mounted over the left shoulder with the left hand.

Since "up" is not a direction indicated by a compass there is no need to be looking at the compass when ascending, so it is ok for the hand this is mounted on to be occupied.

This is, of course, how I was taught....others may have differing opinions based on their training and experience.

-Z

(Warning - RANT about to start!!!!)

I just changed from a cheap compass with regular strap to this bungee system and what a mistake that was! This is possibly the lamest solution and worst design from a respectable manufacturer I have seen in a while.

Firstly, the supplied bungee is as this as thick as the stuff on the tarp that covers my trailer on the way to the dump, why so thick! I immediately replaced it with 2.5mm bungee that I had around.

Secondly, the base should be rotated 90 degrees and curved more to follow the wrist and help it stay in place.

Thirdly, it is very thick and feels like it will catch everything in its path - would look at home in the wheelhouse of a trawler . Admittedly, I bought it without seeing it and I am a warm water diver so it looks and feels huge on a bare wrist.

Fourthly, the way Suunto says to create the bungee strap is bad and you have to loosen and tie a new knot every time you need a bigger or smaller loop.

The method above in this post is probably the best way to do it and even then it will be awkward to get the tension right.

If anyone has any better methods/experiences please let me know before I return it for the strap version.
Thanks
(Rant over)

i sized mine to fit on my bare forearm with just a slight bit of stretch in the bungie...and i have no problems fitting it over my 7mm or dry suit.....my 7mm isnt going to compress down to the same level as my bare skin, so its always going to have some tension on it.

regarding the knot.....i tied mine in a box knot, so it lays flat.....doesnt dig in at all.

Another thing. Because holding your forearm parallel to your eyes is difficult, why not design the compass with sighting window at a comfortable angle. I will move the lubber line on mine clockwise to the left side of the sighting window. The Suunto clipper has the direction of travel indicator in a position that allows comfortable sighting when on a watch strap.

This is my best solution.
Using this method there is a simple threading scheme and a simple tensioning system.
I rotated the capsule so the lubber line is not square to my wrist so I can sight a course without needing my arm to be parallel to my face.
Create three loops with the thinner bungee. Knotted at whatever length suits your setup.
Slide arm through the two outer loops
Snug up by pulling the middle loop over the compass and lay it in the groove on the other side
Not tested in the water yet but appears to be work well
To take it off, pull the middle loop back over
The thinner the bungee, the better it will self adjust
It would be easy to replace one fixed knot with a sliding knot (2 overhand knots back to back) to allow some adjustment fir different thickness suits, or make more than one strap.
02300FC5-82FD-4A64-BBAD-07CCE5C7B715.jpeg
559EBB67-C4A9-4285-A206-6F6C4659A134.jpeg
A2A0C921-3068-4B31-B396-F2B45F27D901.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom