Most accurate H20 temp website (CZM)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone's subjective perception of temperature is different;
I agree, subjective perception is useless. This is EXACTLY why is it useful to know the REAL temperature, and not somebody's guess, or what their uncalibrated dive computer said, or what THEY are comfortable with. Tell me the real temperature is 80 F, and I'll know what exposure suit to bring. But tell me YOU are comfy in a 3mm gives me no useful information.

My legs/toes don't reach from Missouri, Mr Smarty Pants!! Trying to decide if I need rash guard or 5 mil next month. :wink: And it would be nice to have a 'go-to' site for the future.

We were just down there a couple of weeks ago. I was fine in a 1mil with a rashie underneath. but then my wife says i have the constitution of a viking so maybe that's not a good measure. I would say you're fine with a 3mil, though and some kind of lavacore top or something similar.

I agree, subjective perception is useless. This is EXACTLY why is it useful to know the REAL temperature, and not somebody's guess, or what their uncalibrated dive computer said, or what THEY are comfortable with. Tell me the real temperature is 80 F, and I'll know what exposure suit to bring. But tell me YOU are comfy in a 3mm gives me no useful information.

So you can ignore my post. Water was 81-82 a couple of weeks ago.

Trying to decide if I need rash guard or 5 mil next month

a 5mm ? everyone is different but i would not recommend a 5mm for down there. a well fitted, good quality full 3mm is typically more then enough. if you find you get cold easily, i would recommend either getting a full 3mm with an attached hood, or if you own a good 3mm already, just bring a 3mm or 5mm hood.

my computer told me.
OK. But without additional information, I have to assume your reading is only good to +- 4 deg F. Dive-omputer temperature sensors just aren't very accurate, which really doesn't matter if you are used to interpreting its reading in terms of what thickness wetsuit YOU wear, but it makes it hard to have someone else use that information.

a 5mm ? everyone is different but i would not recommend a 5mm for down there. a well fitted, good quality full 3mm is typically more then enough. if you find you get cold easily, i would recommend either getting a full 3mm with an attached hood, or if you own a good 3mm already, just bring a 3mm or 5mm hood.

When we were there in December my computer registered 81-82 degrees and I was wearing a 5mil and happy. I'm a bit of a chilly willy. I'll probably take my 5mil. If the temps look like 83-84 I MIGHT switch to my 3mil. I'd rather be safe than sorry - I can always let in more water to cool off.

OK. But without additional information, I have to assume your reading is only good to +- 4 deg F. Dive-omputer temperature sensors just aren't very accurate, which really doesn't matter if you are used to interpreting its reading in terms of what thickness wetsuit YOU wear, but it makes it hard to have someone else use that information.

Exactly how does one get the 'accurate' water temperature? Would you like to be on site with whatever equipment is necessary to report in for us on a daily basis? (on your dime though!) :wink:

Exactly how does one get the 'accurate' water temperature? Would you like to be on site with whatever equipment is necessary to report in for us on a daily basis? (on your dime though!) :wink:
Don't make this too hard.
Just calibrate you dive computer. Put it in a water bath, preferably in an insulated container, and measure the water temperature after (say) 10 minutes with a good thermometer. I use a digipen that is supposed to be for cooking.

Or, use the websites based on SST. They'll be good to a deg or so...better than the arbitrary dive computer.
one good thing about thse websites is they give climatic averages, and you'll see that the 83-84 reported by that not-credible website is just not likely.

Or, if you know YOUR computer reads 81-82 and you need a 5mm, then you done a good-enough calibration for YOU.

Back
Top Bottom