Most accurate H20 temp website (CZM)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or, if you know YOUR computer reads 81-82 and you need a 5mm, then you done a good-enough calibration for YOU.

That's how I do it - what works for me, based on my computer - and my computer has been within two tenths of a degree of the 'good' website I listed. I originally asked because a few days ago someone on a Cozumel FB group posted the 'less accurate' website as their source and I wanted to see if anyone here could validate one or the other.

That's how I do it - what works for me, based on my computer - and my computer has been within two tenths of a degree of the 'good' website I listed. I originally asked because a few days ago someone on a Cozumel FB group posted the 'less accurate' website as their source and I wanted to see if anyone here could validate one or the other.
I've never heard of that "less accurate' website (and I'm kinda in the SST business), it says nothing about the sources of its information, and its numbers are not believable. It is aimed at coastal resorts. Its home page seems to focus on the Mediterranean, and it has advertising links to some businesses. I'm skeptical of it; it could be just clickbait.

The other way you can look it is that Feb/March sea temperatures are usually colder than December (EDIT : talking for Cozumel and most of northern hemisphere) and there is nothing about this year to go strongly against that trend (we’ve had plenty of cold weather by Cozumel standards). If you are coming in next month bring what you had in December—might even be a degree colder now than then. Most places changes in water temperature lag trends in air temperature since water takes longer than air to heat up and cool down.

Just calibrate you dive computer.

my recommendation if a diver wants to know how accurate their dive computer temp is......fill a container with ice and add only enough fresh cold water to submerge the computer. let sit 5 or 10 minutes. check if it reads 32f / 0c or slightly higher or lower. now you know.

you can also do this with fresh water at sea level and test it in boiling water. but probably not a great idea. :)

my recommendation if a diver wants to know how accurate their dive computer temp is......fill a container with ice and add only enough fresh cold water to submerge the computer. let sit 5 or 10 minutes. check if it reads 32f / 0c or slightly higher or lower. now you know.

you can also do this with fresh water at sea level and test it in boiling water. but probably not a great idea. :)
If you are comfortable that a calibration at 32 will be good at 75-80, fine.
I'm not.

If you are comfortable that a calibration at 32 will be good at 75-80, fine.
I'm not.

in order to "calibrate" any measuring tool (this example is not really calibrating the computer. we are simply finding out how accurate it is) you must compare it to a known measurement. we know fresh water freezes at 0c. we know fresh water boils at 100c. at sea level. these are known measurements.
if your device shows exactly 0c when testing as i described, and you feel at 75 or 80 degrees it will not read properly, that doesn't say much about the quality of the components in the computer.
if you wish to "calibrate" it using a known source that is 75 or 80 degrees instead, you can certainly do that. just remember, if you are using another temp measuring device to compare to your computer, that other device may also not be accurate.
bottom line is....it really makes no difference does it. who care if one computer reads tamp a bit different than another.

who care if one computer reads tamp a bit different than another.
OK, I'll just quote my Oceanic OC1 (which reads 4 F low) the next time someone wants to know what wetsuit to use.
I really don't think that helps them very much, do you? And my computer is within spec.
You are, of course, exactly and pedantically correct about what a calibration is.
All I am suggesting is (1) don't trust your dive computer to be accurate enough to help someone else decide on a wetsuit to use, and (2) you can get a lot more confidence in your dive computer's temperature reading if you compare it to something else that is better, and (3) because indeed the dive computer temperatures are not so good, if possible "calibrate" it to something closer to the water you will be diving in. If you dive in freezing water, then calibrating in ice water is fine. For most folks, they would do better to compare their dive computer to an oral thermometer.

For most folks, they would do better to compare their dive computer to an oral thermometer.
I would but I don't think I can fit my dive computer in my mouth. I can think of another human body temperature thermometer but I don't think it would fit there either. :D

a 5mm ? everyone is different but i would not recommend a 5mm for down there. a well fitted, good quality full 3mm is typically more then enough. if you find you get cold easily, i would recommend either getting a full 3mm with an attached hood, or if you own a good 3mm already, just bring a 3mm or 5mm hood.
Ha! I dive in my well fitted 3 mil all summer. In the winter it’s my well fitted 5mil plus a 3 mil vest with a beanie. I get cold at 80 degrees! Most times I bring 2 wetsuits with me, I feel warmer diving with a dry wetsuit on my 2nd dive. There are plenty of folks diving with a 7mil and a hood in the winter. My husband never wears anything more than a 1mil suit! Everyone has a different tolerance.

Ha! I dive in my well fitted 3 mil all summer. In the winter it’s my well fitted 5mil plus a 3 mil vest with a beanie. I get cold at 80 degrees! Most times I bring 2 wetsuits with me, I feel warmer diving with a dry wetsuit on my 2nd dive. There are plenty of folks diving with a 7mil and a hood in the winter. My husband never wears anything more than a 1mil suit! Everyone has a different tolerance.

this is a very entertaining post for a canadian like me. haha

have you ever tried ditching the extra 3mm vest and wearing a proper cold water hood instead of the beanie ? my wife loves her beanie, but i would bet you would get more warmth from wearing a proper hood than the extra vest. maybe not. but worth a try.

if you get cold easy, the worst thing to do between dives is keep the wet suit on. take it off. turn it inside out and leave in the sun. dry your self off and put on warm clothes (and a warm hat if needed). make sure you are warm before you go in for the second dive.

you know people who dive a 7mm with a hood in cozumel ? haha now that is funny. but for people who live there and dive a lot, the 80 degree water can feel cold to them. depends how long the dives are too. i used to wear just a 1mm. great for travel. but i would be pretty cold after a couple of dives.

i have customers that ice dive with 7mm suits and a 7mm hood. :)

maybe you should consider buying a dry suit ? and i am serious. i have a scubapro 4mm compressed neoprene dry suit. it would be a great option for you. you could get a used one pretty cheap. even if it leaks a bit, who cares.

Back
Top Bottom