Any updates to Capt. Vern’s Murder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
For those who missed the opportunity to meet and sail with Capt Vern you truly missed one of the finest individuals I had the pleasure of meeting. In April/May 2012 I did my Divemaster training at UDC. Capt Vern ran a catamaran ferrying service daily between Roatan and Utila. In my opinion it was the BEST way to travel between the two islands.

In Nov 2012, sadly Capt Vern was murdered at sea by, I believe, by two drug runners...Capt Vern refused to comply with their demands to transport their drugs.

Captain Vern Murdered at Sea, Skipper of the Daily Utila to Roatan Honduras Catamaran Ferry Service | Honduras News

I heard there were some more updates...trial, etc.

Could those who are on the know, please share.

Capt Vern, you might be lost to us, but you will never be forgotten.

For those who missed the opportunity to meet and sail with Capt Vern you truly missed one of the finest individuals I had the pleasure of meeting. In April/May 2012 I did my Divemaster training at UDC. Capt Vern ran a catamaran ferrying service daily between Roatan and Utila. In my opinion it was the BEST way to travel between the two islands.

In Nov 2012, sadly Capt Vern was murdered at sea by, I believe, by two drug runners...Capt Vern refused to comply with their demands to transport their drugs.

Captain Vern Murdered at Sea, Skipper of the Daily Utila to Roatan Honduras Catamaran Ferry Service | Honduras News

I heard there were some more updates...trial, etc.

Could those who are on the know, please share.

Capt Vern, you might be lost to us, but you will never be forgotten.

I almost forgot about this until you brought it up.
It happened around the time I was going to Roatan and cayo cochinos

I used to love sailing with Vern, I was in Utila town the day it happened and was on the dock when they brought he and his boat in. The community was stunned, I don't remember such a collective out pouring of grief like that in my 15 years of visiting/living on Utila.
Both of his murders were themselves murdered in jail on the mainland.

I used to love sailing with Vern, I was in Utila town the day it happened and was on the dock when they brought he and his boat in. The community was stunned, I don't remember such a collective out pouring of grief like that in my 15 years of visiting/living on Utila.
Both of his murders were themselves murdered in jail on the mainland.
I had the pleasure of sailing with Vern Twice. The first time I, however, relaxed so much I slept most of the crossing. In the previous 48 hours, I flew from Egypt, to Europe, to Denver. Drive 500 miles round trip for a job interview. Then flew from Denver to Roatan where Vern was waiting for me. He was that kind of a guy...

Not trying to up bad memories, is there a story behind the murders’ demise? Just trying to learn how everything ended up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom