Shearwater Peregrine AI (sort of ... console mount)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a console, all are fugly. I think it kinda goes against the established demographic of Shearwater and SB bubble has been vocal about Peregrine release without AI option as strange. If only we could see sales numbers...
I suspect if the Peregrine sales numbers were "through the roof", the console would not have happened. IMHO, the Peregrine would be a great backup computer to the balance of their line, although for the price-sensitive, like me, (that's a PC word for cheap bastard), I found an old Oceanic that is "almost" as good for $100 as a backup computer. Particularly given the failure rate of Shearwater computers once they get past some infant mortality.

I suspect if the Peregrine sales numbers were "through the roof", the console would not have happened. IMHO, the Peregrine would be a great backup computer to the balance of their line, although for the price-sensitive, like me, (that's a PC word for cheap bastard), I found an old Oceanic that is "almost" as good for $100 as a backup computer. Particularly given the failure rate of Shearwater computers once they get past some infant mortality.

I agree. I see this as a sign that the recreational up take is probably quite good. Otherwise I doubt they would have gone through the time and effort to develop these. Clearly they see a market.

We are a Shearwater dealer and had a conversation with them about this. It was designed and targeted for Dive Center rental fleets more than anything else. The concept was that it could be used on rental equipment and with students and the chance of them losing the computer from the dive center is eliminated. Also it will give them a chance to use a full color computer. The Peregrine can also be removed from the console and converted to a wrist mount.

Will it work? I am not sure. We use the Peregrine wrist version for all our student computers and rent the full line and we have never had any issues so...

I'd likely say that console units are still globally outselling the naked SPG by quite a bit (like BC over BP/W). Even AI was despised by the tech folks when they rolled it out. Guess it shows, they have a voice, and they have an impact.... You want a market share, produce what the market wants... tech is a minority, and we may not do enough to keep the lights on...

I'd likely say that console units are still globally outselling the naked SPG by quite a bit (like BC over BP/W). Even AI was despised by the tech folks when they rolled it out. Guess it shows, they have a voice, and they have an impact.... You want a market share, produce what the market wants... tech is a minority, and we may not do enough to keep the lights on...
All true

But its still all kinds of fugly!

All true

But its still all kinds of fugly!

Like most everyone else, I think this is a backward, slightly dysfunctional product. And while I personally find that slightly “offensive”, if there is a market for it, I say go for it. Anything that helps Shearwater also helps me to get innovative technical dive computers.

What offends me more is not that it’s a console, it’s that it’s an *ugly*console! Given how far the refinement of Shearwater products has come from their earliest aluminum box through the predator all the way to the Terric, I really would’ve thought they could’ve done a better job to make it at least halfway decent looking… I think there’s a dozen people on SB alone that could’ve come up with something better on their 3-D printer! :)

But seriously: anything that brings more money into Shearwater that doesn’t come from me just leaves them more budget and capacity to design really cool technical products that will get *me* to spend money! :)

I find it interesting that the console in not on the Shearwater website yet.

Me too. I wonder if they will even add it to the site? I suspect they will.

As others have said, man is it fugly but for those who want a console I guess they like fugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Actually I’ve decided it’s not just fugly, it’s an abomination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom