Have you ever been refused to be allowed to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are not certified for the depth your medical insurance will almost certainly be invalid.

On this side of the pond, I rely on DAN for diving injuries. They recently paid for a short stay at the emergency room in Coz. I would never dive without DAN, and I don't think I could rely on my employer's insurance from a diving accident.

Some very good responses thank you! Many seem to take offense by my word "scam". Well I stand behind that word. When we were both certified, 1977(me) and 1983 (her) the training was significantly more robust. Ok, it seems like it was a level of magnitude above current training. Our instructor was an ex navy seal and he cut us NO slack. I pulled out my old PADI training.books and there is no depth limitation anywhere in it. PADI changed the rules and why? Only to make money. Why should we be penalized, made to pay for what we have already paid for? B

Some very good responses thank you! Many seem to take offense by my word "scam". Well I stand behind that word. When we were both certified, 1977(me) and 1983 (her) the training was significantly more robust. Ok, it seems like it was a level of magnitude above current training. Our instructor was an ex navy seal and he cut us NO slack. I pulled out my old PADI training.books and there is no depth limitation anywhere in it. PADI changed the rules and why? Only to make money. Why should we be penalized, made to pay for what we have already paid for? B
I and I think some others understand what you are saying. But perhaps the world is much different now than it was in 1977 (the year I became a band teacher). Schools are filled with computers.
I don't know what diving was like back then (certified in 2005). My guess is there was a lot less (self) regulation. Maybe fewer lawsuits for charter boats to worry about? For sure a lot fewer divers (so I read). Maybe fewer charter boats, period? I don't know. But a freind said to me in about 1990 that it seems we have a rule, law, regulation, or need a permit to do just about anything nowadays. And THAT was 30 years ago.
Gotta change with the times (so my wife tells me....).

How long was your training, how much did it cost?

I also learned to dive in the 1970s, the depth limit for all grades back then was 50m (BSAC). Now we have depth limits for each grade:
* Ocean Diver 20m,
* Sports Diver 35m,
* Dive Leader and above 50m.

Why, because diving incidents showed it wasn’t safe. It’s not a money making scam.

I had a well known Dive Op in Grand Cayman refuse to recognize my NASDS card from 1972. It had nothing to do with proving that I had recent dives either.

I had a well known Dive Op in Grand Cayman refuse to recognize my NASDS card from 1972. It had nothing to do with proving that I had recent dives either.
I assume that was after the merger with SSI in 1999, is that right? Was it before or after SSI was acquired by Mares/Head in 2014?

I have not shown my 1970 LA County card for a few years, but it was never refused. Did require some explanation at times :)

I assume that was after the merger with SSI in 1999, is that right? Was it before or after SSI was acquired by Mares/Head in 2014?

I have not shown my 1970 LA County card for a few years, but it was never refused. Did require some explanation at times :)

I believe it was in 2017. The issue was with the kid at the front desk who never heard of NASDS. In full disclosure, I had PADI cards too, but I thought I would be cute and try the NASDS card for grins n' giggles...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom