How to answer "what is your highest certification level"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I seriously have to laugh at the variety of responses to this simple question. You are an amazing group of diversified people!

After reading every single response to date I have decided to answer either AOW or SOLO. Either answer would likely allow me to do the dive I want without the potential negative possibilities so many of you have highlighted.

Thank you all.
It is what you should expect.
We are all individual and have our own opinion.

Is that a polite way of saying you think we are all narked???
Not at all. I was very serious. A lot of unexpected answers.

Also, to the poster that said they were proud to be a Master Diver, so am I but have never claimed that to be my highest certification despite PADI's description of it being so ( for non professionals ).

So after reading your many varied responses (thank you), it appears that there is no consensus about what to say when asked "what is your highest certification level".

I apologize for not realizing that many people reading my original post are super qualified. I should have been more specific and asked for "relative" rankings of certification for recreational divers (of which I am one).

PADI says that "Master Scuba Diver Is the Highest Recreational Scuba Diving Certification Level" but it seems to me that the Master Scuba diver certification can be achieved with so many low level activities such as Boat Diver, Fish Identification, etc. as to make that a non contender for highest certification level. A dive operator would then have to ask what courses you did to qualify for Master Diver.

I am in no way trying to denigrate the Master Diver certificat. Just saying that there are many paths to earning that certificate that dive operators would have to ask additional questions.
Two certifications required for PADI master diver are AOW and Rescue; those are the ones that carry more weight IMO than the 5 specialties and a dive op should know that.

It is what you should expect.
We are all individual and have our own opinion.
Yes. I don't think any agency actually ranks specialties, or other certs. other than the usual OW-AOW-Rescue and of course the numerous pro certs. So it is only opinion to say "Wreck is higher than Deep or Nitrox, etc.".
But all is good, we managed 9 pages.

Yes. I don't think any agency actually ranks specialties, or other certs. other than the usual OW-AOW-Rescue and of course the numerous pro certs. So it is only opinion to say "Wreck is higher than Deep or Nitrox, etc.".
But all is good, we managed 9 pages.
A few specialties take AOW and thus trump it in terms of certs.
The Padi prereqs are:

Nitrox: OW

Rescue: Adventure diver, EFR
Wreck: Adventure diver
Deep: Adventure diver

Padi MSD is a consolidation card not a class. It means you hold AOW, Rescue, and 5 specialties and have done 50 dives.

Ice: AOW
Cavern: AOW
Self Reliant: AOW, 100 dives

A few specialties take AOW and thus trump it in terms of certs. The Padi prereqs are:

Nitrox prereq: OW

Rescue prereq: Adventure diver, EFR
Deep prereq: Adventure diver
Wreck prereq: Adventure diver

Master means having taken AOW, Rescue, 5 specialties and done 50 dives

Ice prereq: AOW
Cavern prereq: AOW
Self Reliant prereq: AOW, 100 dives
I was just thinking about this too, SDI works also, SDI Advanced Diver or equivalent and minimum 100 dives. Still have to prove nitrox certification.

A few specialties take AOW and thus trump it in terms of certs.
The Padi prereqs are:

Nitrox: OW

Rescue: Adventure diver, EFR
Wreck: Adventure diver
Deep: Adventure diver

Padi Master is a consolidation card not a class. It means you hold AOW, Rescue, and 5 specialties and have done 50 dives.

Ice: AOW
Cavern: AOW
Self Reliant: AOW, 100 dives
Right, narrows it a bit. But does Ice, Cavarn, Self R trump MSD? Ice & Cavern would seem not to trump much unless you're doing those type of dives.
Ice & Cavern don't require Rescue first (or do they?). So then MSD must trump these.

But does Ice, Cavarn, Self R trump MSD?
Solo and rescue are both about anticipation, prevention, and recovery from incidents. Rescue is with others. Solo is with no one else there to help. So, to me, Solo covers more than Rescue, for the diver themself. Thus Solo trumps Padi MSD. Not that you should not take Rescue, but for the diver themself Solo covers more.
(ETA: Well, except for the bandaging yourself up part of EFR that is a prerequisite of rescue.)

Cavern has a few problem-solving drills and emphasis on good trim and control, applicable anywhere. Which MSD does not add.
Cavern Diver | PADI:
"You'll complete four scuba dives with the first focused on line handling, reel use and emergency procedures outside a cavern; and the next three dives put your new skills to use inside a cavern. You'll also learn about:
  • Other specialized equipment for cavern diving, such as lights and redundant breathing systems.
  • Avoiding disorientation and anti-silting techniques.
  • Dive planning, including depth and distance limits and air management for cavern diving.
"
Also a good argument for trumping Padi MSD aside from the 50 dives requirement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom