Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like a new Descent on the way March 8th; IPH-03898 at FCC ( https://fccid.io/IPH-03898 ) is a GPS Dive Watch ( e-Sertifikasi | Sertifikat ), and the
SAR report (part 1) in section 9 lists the item in question as '*PMP Grivory, GV-5H**/Stainless | A03898 | 010-02132-01', which is the same part # as US Mk2i

The FCC report is likely for the next Fenix and your second is for the Mk2i. Your "certificate" renewal date lands almost exactly 3 years out from when the Mk2/i was released to the public.

The links in my original post point to the same watch; presumably you mean Mk1 (rather than Mk2i, which was GPS Dive Watch | GARMIN | A03654 | GARMIN | 2023.01.02, or Mk2 which was GPS Dive Watch | GARMIN | AA3654 | GARMIN | 2022.12.26 ); that was under FCC ID IPH-A3095 ( FCC ID IPH-A3095 ) which went up October 2017, so not that either! This is versus a Fenix, Fenix 6 can be seen here under FCC ID IPH-03560

So something unexpected happened today. I took my Descent Mk2i on only its third dive.
The first dive was in a 5mm semi-dry, the second in a drysuit, and today's in the same semi-dry as the first.

For the first dive, I used the extended wrist strap, and attached my watch about 5cm up from my wrist on my left forearm.
For the second dive, I'd left the extended strap at home, so attached the watch on my wrist, over the drysuit seal and 2mm neoprene gloves.
The today's dive, same as the first - about 5cm up from my wrist.

And here's the strange thing - today the watch recorded my heart rate through the duration of the dive! And not just sporadic, constant sampling throughout the dive, and it also appears to be accurate. Eg, at the end of the dive I started swimming fast back toward shore, and it shows quite clearly my heart rate increase.

It defies all logic how the watch measured my heart rate through the sleeve of my 5mm semidry.

I have dove my mk1 and mk2i and both have recorded heart rate through my 7mm. Though it does jump around a bit more than when on land.

Have you dove with the POD yet?

What I noticed about the MK2i while diving was that the POD sends out a tone every few seconds...cough .....cough....sonar. For some reason I thought that the sonar used would be inaudible to humans, silly me. For the first part of the dive I looked around like a confused ape trying to figure out what the hell the sound was and where it was coming from since it was every few seconds but faint enough making it hard to pinpoint. When I realized what it was it faded off into the background and I didn't notice it often. However I do plan to change the placement of the POD. There is no mention in the manual or on most reviews about the ping sound.

I haven't yet.
Side note, 6 days a week running, I get 9 full days of battery life on average.

Maybe open a ticket about the ping?

[QUOTE="waterone, post: 9331383, member: 468024"

Have you dove with the POD yet?
What I noticed about the MK2i while diving was that the POD sends out a tone every few seconds[/QUOTE]

Not sure why you're calling the AI transmitter an all-capicals POD.

But yes, I've dived with it and have not noticed the sound at all. After my first dive, I realised that I forgot to keep an ear out for how distracting this sound I've read about it is.
On the second dive, I spend the first 10 minutes consciously trying to get annoyed by the ping. Still couldn't hear it. From the third dive, I've forgotten all about it.

I wear a 5mm hood with both wet and dry suits. For both my twins and singles rigs, the transmitter is on a 6" HP hose bungeed to my primary reg, so it sits pretty close to my right shoulder.

I haven't yet.
Side note, 6 days a week running, I get 9 full days of battery life on average.

Maybe open a ticket about the ping?
Yeah it last forever out of the water.

The ping from what I read now, is normal. It isnt crazy loud and if you have the tx on low settings it does get less noticeable, similar with the pod position.

Still surprised only a single review vid that i have seen mentioned it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom