New guy from Cedar Rapids Iowa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigViken

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’ve done allot of snorkeling, but not diving. Scuba was on my bucket list, but never had the time. I’ve put it off long enough. Going to get my certification. Working with an instructor here in Iowa. Seems like he really knows his stuff. Was going to do it on my next cruise, but decided I would get better service from a local instructor. He is also working with me 1 on 1.

Welcome to ScubaBoard @BigViken and congratulations on the path certified. A great thing to do.

High BigViken, welcome to ScubaBoard. Who are you working with? I'm from North Liberty and a current DM, about to be an Assistant Instructor at Diventures.

Welcome to the Board. I did decades of snorkeling before taking scuba. I'm sure it will help you with the airway skills.

I’m not sure where he is going to take me. I can’t wait.

I’m not sure where he is going to take me. I can’t wait.
It won't be anywhere in the next couple of months unless your getting ice diving certified at the same time. :wink:
The most common place to do checkouts in our area is Turkey Ridge Dive Site in Janesville, just past Waterloo. Several shops do training there and it is owned by the DNA and managed by Scuba Too in Cedar Falls. If you're working with Jim Kelsey, he might take you to Palo Lake because he lives nearby, but not many people go there. There's not a whole lot of excitement in either location, but there are a lot of bluegill and some turtles, bass, and catfish and TRDS has some tractor tires, statues, and a large drainage culvert suspended at about 10-15 feet that you can swim through.

The best part of doing your checkouts in Iowa is that when you get to the Caribbean, it's even more amazing than you could imagine because it's warm and you can see past your fingertips. And night diving is a piece of cake!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom