Where would you live in Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. So all boat diving then?
You can always shore dive. Will you see much? Probably not. Is it worth a dip to find out? Sure, why not? In my youth, 74ish, I did a dive somewhere around Jax with a long pier. It might have been as far South as Daytona. Asked the owner if we could jump off the end. No way! But then he wanted us to go look for a nice rod and reel that were lost the day before. Yeah, so we got to jump off and it was 15 or so feet to the water. I'll never do THAT again. We found the rod/reel he was hoping for and a few more. What a blast.

Yep, North of JAX would be my ONLY consideration..the rest of Fla, YAWN! Key West was wonderful back in the 70-80's....no longer.

Personally, I had to live in Jax. Ugh. Never again. A lot depends on the type of people you like being around. Choose your community carefully.

Reactions: Ana
I love the way those who live in Florida are voting for where they are currently located! LOL

Not surprising though. Most people in FL migrated in and therefore live where they've chosen to live. Some it's due to their job location but for many their location is an intentional decision.

The challenge is that the best ocean diving is not close to the best cave diving. If you split the difference you're too far away from both IMO. You need to decide which is more important to you (caves or ocean) and live close to that. Then do short trips for the other type of diving.

You've also mentioned living where it's cheap. Relative to what? Just about everywhere in FL is cheaper than NYC or DC or Chicago or San Francisco or Seattle or LA. But if you're comparing it to the rural areas of the US that's a different story. What's your baseline?

Woodbridge is in Northern Virginia. It’s ~$450k for a builder grade 50+ year old detached 3BR in a neighborhood that’s 20+ years past its prime.

I waded into the housing market in that area a couple months ago and decided to throw in the towel and stick with a rental for now. The housing market is “hot,” with people lined up 10+ deep (12 offers on one house I looked at) and people willing to buy without an inspection.

you are funny
I notice you're not saying it's not a good plan.

letterboy for governor!

I notice you're not saying it's not a good plan.
It's not a good plan, but I would still vote for you over DeSantis. I would probably support Goofy over you, but you're a darn sight better than our current Gov.

It's amazing to me how horrible fences and walls look. Shortly after I moved here, I removed over a mile of fencing. The guy who sold it to me was amazed at how the place looks now. I paid $75k for 10.82 acres with a mobile home and 3 outbuildings. 1/4 acre lots in the Keys start at a quarter mil. I could probably sell it for a lot more now just by cleaning it up. I do have a blog here on SB about it: I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

The diving in Jax is mostly boat but the jetties get divers looking to spear flounder or sheepshead and the rivers have blackwater diving for fossils. These fossils are from less than an hour from my house and could be dove from shore.
Vis offshore now is pretty good, large animals are around. There are several charters but a lot of divers in Jax have boats and FB has people looking for rides or divers most boatable weekends.
Crime is very low in most neighborhoods but very high in a few so it pays to research.
20210227_100629.jpg

I wouldn't mind moving to somewhere south of Jupiter Inlet and North of Miami. I'd like to be close to the Atlantic side, as I've lived on the Gulf coast my whole life. However, I wouldn't give up my gigabit fiber connection for the move. If that's not available then the location isn't worth considering. Largo, FL isn't ideal for diving but it's not terrible and we have gigabit fiber here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom