Is it possible to travel responsibly (during a pandemic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nailed it !

Since you like to throw rocks to the sinner, I am very curious to know what a saint person like you are you doing now? What sacrifices have you done to stop the spread of the pandemic? When would you return to dive? I'll be watching any post / comment you put out here like a hawk to make sure you walk the talk.

I did not address it to you.

Since you like to throw rocks to the sinner, I am very curious to know what a saint person like you are you doing now. What sacrifices have you done to stop the spread of the pandemic? When would you return to dive? I'll be watching any post / comment you put out here like a hawk to make sure you walk the talk.

@Dan. I sincerely hope you, your family, friends, and those that come into contact with you and your magic circle, continue to avoid getting this horrible virus. Today, we heard that the brother of one of my wife's friends just passed away after spending two weeks on a ventilator. He was in his early 50s, healthy with no underlying issues, and was doing what he was supposed to do as far as Covid precautions. Yet, he caught the virus, had to be put on a ventilator, and died. Because of him, and others we know that have died from Covid, I think unnecessary traveling at this time, against CDC guidance, is like playing Russian Roulette with your own life as well as others. Yes, you can spin the cylinder indefinitely and not hit the loaded cylinder, but it only takes one time to ruin your, or someone else's life. As I said, I hope you and everyone that comes in contact with you stays healthy and safe.

I'm sorry to hear about the death of the brother of your wife's friend. Condolences to you and his family.

Since you think unnecessary traveling at this time, against CDC guidance, is like playing Russian Roulette with your own life as well as others, I guess you also like to do the same from your post in the othe thread. Hmmm very very interesting.
@JohnN Thank you for the quick report. Covid situation permitting, my wife and I are planning an extended trip to Curacao later in the summer. We are very interested in how you dealt with the PCR/Antigen tests required for entry into Curacao. I suspect the PCR test administered within 72 hours of travel might not be a problem, assuming no sudden surge of testing that would result in a 2-3 day test reply. However, I am wondering where you got your quick result antigen test at MIA to comply with Curacao's requirement to have a negative test result within 4 hours of boarding your flight, and forwarded to Curacao authorities. I can see that requirement has a lot of potential for screwing up the trip without an easy way to recover. Thank you for any additional information you can provide whenever it is convenient of course. Hopefully you will be willing to write a trip report at some point, and we wish you a great trip and safe diving.

I may be an irresponsible idiot, but not a hypocrite.

I'll get my 1st shot of COVID-19 vaccine in a couple hours. Have been diligently wearing N95 mask whenever inside public building or around stranger where social distancing is not possible, and washing my hands before touching things that are not belong to me. Have done 3 PCR tests and an antigen test with negative results for my trip to Cocos last December, Socorro in January and Belize in February.

I'll be getting another PCR test in a few days for my trip to Maldive next week.

All of you Saints, please continue your quarantine.

What do I see as responsibly travel?

First and foremost is not to travel, even to the corner store and certainly not to work, when you are sick!

Second, wear a proper mask correctly and consistently.

Avoid touching face, nose or rubbing eyes. It is amazing how often this happens and for most one is not even aware one is doing it.

Fourth, respect social distances to the limit possible.

Fifth, of course hand washing or hand gel.

And to the extend possible avoid activities while traveling that raise the risk, such as dining inside restaurants.

Although it should really be first I will list vaccination last since it is still far from easily available.

Any other suggestions?

Reactions: Dan
I read this board to learn and gather information related to diving and dive travel. What I appreciate about Dan's posts, aside from extreme jealousy about all his great trips, is his detailed description of his and the destinations safety precautions. Arguing about whether to travel is moot at this point because so many people are. Is the destination open, hopefully not taking a dingy to Palau and sneaking in, are you following the local safety precautions and have you created your own that you are comfortable with? That's about what I hope everyone does. We decided no out of the country travel this year. That's our decision. However, spouse and I just pulled the trigger to go with our LDS to Galapagos next January. The only trip this year is a driving trip to Acadia National Park in September. Hope for the best on both. Dan, thanks for the info. Let's keep learning from each other.

Rob

Although it should really be first I will list vaccination last since it is still far from easily available.
If by irresponsible we mean helping to limit the spread of the virus and not infecting others, then last on the list is proper.
First on the list is if you care only about yourself.

If by irresponsible we mean helping to limit the spread of the virus and not infecting others, then last on the list is proper.
First on the list is if you care only about yourself.
And here we will have to disagree. Beyond not traveling while sick, I would place vaccination next, both for protection against serious illness and taxing resources while traveling, but also to protect others. Yes, we still need more data and past mistakes have made the powers that be more cautious in recommendations. But preliminary evidence is encouraging for transmission protection. Not absolute, in medicine there are few such things, but enough so that if one plans to travel and they have access to the vaccine, I personally feel it would be irresponsible not to be vacinated, for themselves and others.

There are countries already starting to implement “travel passports” or “green pass” to allow otherwise prohibited activities to those vaccinated. Bidden included orders for government agencies to “asscess the feasibility” in his covid EOs.

And here we will have to disagree. Beyond not traveling while sick, I would place vaccination next, both for protection against serious illness and taxing resources while traveling, but also to protect others. Yes, we still need more data and past mistakes have made the powers that be more cautious in recommendations. But preliminary evidence is encouraging for transmission protection. Not absolute, in medicine there are few such things, but enough so that if one plans to travel and they have access to the vaccine, I personally feel it would be irresponsible not to be vacinated, for themselves and others.

There are countries already starting to implement “travel passports” or “green pass” to allow otherwise prohibited activities to those vaccinated. Bidden included orders for government agencies to “asscess the feasibility” in his covid EOs.

That has been a huge part of the problem over the past year. People “don’t feel sick,” so they feel free to travel. It’s well documented that a significant amount of case growth is due to asymptomatic carriers.

I’m not going to wade into the topic of whether or not people should travel. Just saying that if you’re making that decision based on how you feel...maybe reevaluate that one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom