Hair Care

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was on facebook and saw a video a woman created, demonstrating how she deals with 'dive hair'. Basically, she slathered creme rinse all over her hair and then put it up in a bun. Someone made a comment about 'whatever goes on your hair goes in the ocean' and she took offense, saying she's an esthetician and had checked out all the ingredients to make sure they are reef safe.

I have used nothing but Stream2Sea on my hair for several years (when diving) - to protect the reef, even though I'm just one in a million people jumping in the water - but even using the amount necessary for my thin hair it can get expensive. The product the gal in the video was using is the Love Beauty & Planet - you can get them at Walmart and Target. I think it's about $7 for a 13.5 oz bottle. I grabbed my bottle that I use at home, and checked out the ingredients to see if they are all ok - and it appears they are. I even cross checked a couple of ingredients to see if I could discover if they were masquerading under different names. If any of you have reason to believe this information is incorrect please let me know.

I will continue to use Stream2Sea for sunscreen - and I really do wish that all dive ops followed Rainbow Reef's example, and just have it available on the boats. I cringe when I see the Coppertone and other brands come out (but who knows, maybe they're reef friendly now too?).

AND ... to add to the hair care part ... I think the first key to protecting your hair is to saturate it with fresh water so no salt water can penetrate it. Add creme rinse for extra protection and to put more 'good stuff' in it, and you're golden. And of course, with creme rinse on it's easier to slick it back and make sure all those stray hairs stay in place while you're getting your hair band, scap, cap, do-rag or whatever in place.

Happy diving!!!

I was on facebook and saw a video a woman created, demonstrating how she deals with 'dive hair'. Basically, she slathered creme rinse all over her hair and then put it up in a bun. Someone made a comment about 'whatever goes on your hair goes in the ocean' and she took offense, saying she's an esthetician and had checked out all the ingredients to make sure they are reef safe.

I have used nothing but Stream2Sea on my hair for several years (when diving) - to protect the reef, even though I'm just one in a million people jumping in the water - but even using the amount necessary for my thin hair it can get expensive. The product the gal in the video was using is the Love Beauty & Planet - you can get them at Walmart and Target. I think it's about $7 for a 13.5 oz bottle. I grabbed my bottle that I use at home, and checked out the ingredients to see if they are all ok - and it appears they are. I even cross checked a couple of ingredients to see if I could discover if they were masquerading under different names. If any of you have reason to believe this information is incorrect please let me know.

I will continue to use Stream2Sea for sunscreen - and I really do wish that all dive ops followed Rainbow Reef's example, and just have it available on the boats. I cringe when I see the Coppertone and other brands come out (but who knows, maybe they're reef friendly now too?).

AND ... to add to the hair care part ... I think the first key to protecting your hair is to saturate it with fresh water so no salt water can penetrate it. Add creme rinse for extra protection and to put more 'good stuff' in it, and you're golden. And of course, with creme rinse on it's easier to slick it back and make sure all those stray hairs stay in place while you're getting your hair band, scap, cap, do-rag or whatever in place.

Happy diving!!!

I don't really have that much hair to worry about anymore, but had to respond to the whole notion of environmentally friendly sunscreen. I wish I had a dollar for every time I dove with an operator that said that only biodegradable sunscreen was allowed -- only for me to find that I was the only sap who brought the biodegradable stuff on board. I even offer to pass it around to people, and they turn me down in favor of their petroleum-based stuff. Other than giving me a very fleeting sense of superiority, I don't get the sense that my biodegradable stuff makes much difference in the grand scheme of things. Yet I persist. :)

Other than giving me a very fleeting sense of superiority, I don't get the sense that my biodegradable stuff makes much difference in the grand scheme of things. Yet I persist. :)

Yup - right there with you.

Thank you both @Kimela and @nippurmagnum ! This is the mindset that paves the way to better health for our reefs AND our planet! Thank YOU for persisting! We have bulk size (32oz) bottles of our Leave-In Conditioner (along with all of our other products) and you can receive 10% off using coupon code SCUBABOARD. Plus we have free shipping for USA orders over $35. And remember, our conditioner is like our sunscreen - highly concentrated, so a little goes a LONG way! :clearmask:

Thank you both @Kimela and @nippurmagnum ! This is the mindset that paves the way to better health for our reefs AND our planet! Thank YOU for persisting! We have bulk size (32oz) bottles of our Leave-In Conditioner (along with all of our other products) and you can receive 10% off using coupon code SCUBABOARD. Plus we have free shipping for USA orders over $35. And remember, our conditioner is like our sunscreen - highly concentrated, so a little goes a LONG way! :clearmask:
That's great to know, will have to remember that coupon code next time I stock up on sunscreen and hair care products

Serious question. In my day to day im a bit maintenance, not high. I pay too much for highlights and cuts. I have no time pre or post dive to deal with my hair. Do you arrive early or last off the boat to get the worst marina parking spot to do your hair? Im doing a LOB in 2022. I'll condition my rats nest after my scubber is packed or whatever for the next day. When are you doing the this hair care? cause i never have time and have a good selection or hats or dgaf.

Serious question. In my day to day im a bit maintenance, not high. I pay too much for highlights and cuts. I have no time pre or post dive to deal with my hair. Do you arrive early or last off the boat to get the worst marina parking spot to do your hair? Im doing a LOB in 2022. I'll condition my rats nest after my scubber is packed or whatever for the next day. When are you doing the this hair care? cause i never have time and have a good selection or hats or dgaf.

Well, let me be clear that I don't do any of this to look good on the boat!!! I wear a ball cap and try not to think about what I look like. On a liveaboard, a few minutes before the first dive I'd grab the shower-head or hose and soak my head with fresh water and then slather on a bunch of creme rinse. I wouldn't bother combing it out unless you really need to. Then put it in a ponytail, headband, etc. Before each subsequent dive, soak your hair with fresh water again if it has gotten dry. (I honestly think the most important part is making sure your hair is soaked with fresh water so the salt doesn't penetrate the hair shaft - but that's just my non-professional opinion.) After the last dive, rinse with freshwater again and you'll be able to feel the creme rinse residue still in your hair.

I also have highlights and lowlights. After my last trip my stylist said my hair was in really good shape and said it was probably because of all the conditioning I did pre-dive. Keep in mind, this whole process doesn't take very long for me because I really do have thin hair. If you have thick, luxurious hair it'll take more time (and I'll have to resent you a little bit!). :wink:

Happy diving!!!

I found Stream2Sea through my local dive shop a few years ago, and have religiously used it on dive trips since then. Like you, I get my hair wet with fresh water first, and then add a generous dollop of the conditioner and run my fingers through my hair to get it totally covered. I started wearing a cap or lycra head cover a couple of years ago, and it comes down far enough to tuck into my wetsuit or rash guard.

I'm interested to read this thread more and see what others say about the Love Beauty & Planet.

Well, let me be clear that I don't do any of this to look good on the boat!!! I wear a ball cap and try not to think about what I look like. On a liveaboard, a few minutes before the first dive I'd grab the shower-head or hose and soak my head with fresh water and then slather on a bunch of creme rinse. I wouldn't bother combing it out unless you really need to. Then put it in a ponytail, headband, etc. Before each subsequent dive, soak your hair with fresh water again if it has gotten dry. (I honestly think the most important part is making sure your hair is soaked with fresh water so the salt doesn't penetrate the hair shaft - but that's just my non-professional opinion.) After the last dive, rinse with freshwater again and you'll be able to feel the creme rinse residue still in your hair.

I also have highlights and lowlights. After my last trip my stylist said my hair was in really good shape and said it was probably because of all the conditioning I did pre-dive. Keep in mind, this whole process doesn't take very long for me because I really do have thin hair. If you have thick, luxurious hair it'll take more time (and I'll have to resent you a little bit!). :wink:

I'm right there with you Kimela - I have a very similar routine, especially on liveaboards. I make sure my hair is thoroughly soaked/saturated with fresh water before dives and keep the Stream2Sea conditioner in it.

Funny thing, one year I decided to have fun and had my stylist put a streak of dark blue in my hair. Looked really pretty. Then a couple of days in, one of the women on board said "I really like the pink in your hair!" I thought PINK? Yes, the ocean had turned my blue streak to a pink/purple. That's okay, most of my equipment has pink in it so my hair then matched my dive gear. ha!

After/between dives, I usually just throw on a baseball cap, or a bandana. I don't spend any time on my hair. Why bother? In about 20 minutes I'll be diving again! So I don't even try. Lately I like bringing a couple of pretty bandanas and it's quick and easy. Unfortunately, my hair style doesn't allow to pull it back in a pony tail, it's usually just a bit too short, at chin length or just below.

Coconut oil is the way to go! As you mentioned, I saturate my hair with fresh water and then just dump a ton of coconut oil in it. Also not as good for the environment, but at least it doesn't harm the ocean... Pick your battles.

I braid my hair in boxer braids so it doesn't get tangled or I wear a hair band to keep it back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom