Is it possible to travel responsibly (during a pandemic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious, did you edit your post , "infact reduce" from the [qualifier] "may reduce" ?
I’m not sure what you are asking? I was just pointing out that there is increasing data to becoming available that supports that the vaccines will reduce transmission in addition to preventing disease. As I said, it’s still not fully known - but it does seem promising.

People who have been vaccinated have already contracted the virus again this is already known.
They may reduce transmission but they do not eliminate transmission.
Right - as I said, data is looking promising to support that vaccines reduce transmission. I did not say that vaccines will eliminate transmission.

I won't travel for foreseeable future but if others wish to do so why should I worry about it?

Well, your government is preventing infections from entering your country, so yeah, you don't have to worry about it. Not all countries are doing that, so that's why people do worry if other people travel.

In terms of my throwing rocks. I believe I have pointed to CDC guidelines and asked if people felt they were following them, including the parts about not traveling. Particularly when they cited following CDC guidelines. I'm fairly sure that is pointing at the sign on the wall that all of us can see and read, and not skipping parts of it.

In terms of what I am doing, I'm studying up for computer science job interviews to help fight the misinformation pandemic that continues to contribute to the state we are in. I could quickly get a different high-paying job with my just-completed Ph.D. in adversarial machine learning from UC Berkeley, a school tied for first in computer science. That is what I am doing.

The rare times I am out, I'm masked up and avoid being indoors much less near crowds. I've been doing that since March last year. I've not been diving in Monterey since October or so when we went on higher restrictions. I don't plan to go there in my own car till our restrictions lower more.

I'm not helping at the immunization centers, or the hospitals or clinics, or the grocery stores or food banks, nor necessarily doing my prep the fastest that I physically can. But doing that prep and using my skills to fight misinformation is likely the best thing that I can do about this covid pandemic and the mis and disinformation pandemic we are suffering during it.

In May, I paused work on my degree to co-author an op-ed "What to expect when a coronavirus vaccine finally arrives". I think it helped the public conversation a bit on both the pandemic and on misinformation about it. It is a bit old news at this point except for the inequities and difficulties in vaccine distribution, which we are now seeing play out. The lead photo the NY Times used was of women doing science in the 1950s, which could be worth it for parents with girls. I think it was a nice piece. Opinion | What to Expect When a Coronavirus Vaccine Finally Arrives

If some people feel that staying in as requested during a pandemic when I need not be out is being sheep, see above about working to wade into the messy mis-info battle at a high technical level. Or my posts about tiny sidemount, solo, and deserted mid-California coastlines under good conditions. Sure.

I'd been off this thread as I think the CDC sign on the wall is fairly clear. I think it is possible to travel responsibly during a pandemic as a medical worker, a relief worker or a critical infrastructure worker traveling for that work. To me, you need a good argument for being near that list of people.

Good school. I got one of my Chemical Engineering degree from there too.

Just make sure you walk the talk. That means whatever posted in CDC per your quote, below, you will follow it to the letter. That would mean you should NOT be traveling by bus, train, or air for a long time before that guideline being taken out of the page, especially “Do your plans include traveling by bus, train, or air, which might make staying 6 feet apart difficult?

“If the answer to any of these questions is “yes,” you should delay your travel.”

I'm very glad you are following CDC protocols. Quoting from them for reference:

"COVID-19 Alert: Cases are Extremely High. Avoid Travel

Travel increases your chance of getting and spreading COVID-19. CDC recommends that you do not travel at this time. Delay travel and stay home to protect yourself and others from COVID-19.

If you must travel, here are some important questions to ask yourself and your loved ones beforehand.
  • Are hospitals in your community or your destination overwhelmed ...?
  • Do your plans include traveling by bus, train, or air, which might make staying 6 feet apart difficult?
If the answer to any of these questions is “yes,” you should delay your travel.

If you must travel, take these steps ...
"

Bolding above by the CDC.

COVID-19 and Your Health

So are you following the if must travel steps part, or the preceding considerations and alert parts?
<end sarcasm>

Well, your government is preventing infections from entering your country, so yeah, you don't have to worry about it. Not all countries are doing that, so that's why people do worry if other people travel.
Oh but we do, It is the State Premiers that are keeping it check, the Feds could not arrange a $h!# fight even if you supplied the ammunition.

It is even more unlikely that your false dichotomy will take place; the pure black (it will be like it is now so just play Russian Roulette) or white (it will all have gone away). The trends are all looking good, so those of us who have had more self-control and have not traveled at all for over a year (or eaten in restaurants or seen friends) are beginning to see some light. The rewards can still be delayed, the risk is starting to go down...each person will decide when the ratio is right for them. Some good science consensus on whether vaccination helps protect others will go a long way to opening the doors again.

Just make sure you walk the talk and follow the CDC guidelines on traveling COVID-19 and Your Health to the letter. That would mean you should NOT be traveling by bus, train, or air for a long time before that guideline being taken out of the page,especially “Do your plans include traveling by bus, train, or air, which might makestaying 6 feet apart difficult?

“If the answer to any of these questions is “yes,” you should delay your travel.”

I know you’re itching to be in Bonaire, that would be a long wait.

Just make sure you walk the talk and follow the CDC guidelines on traveling COVID-19 and Your Health to the letter. That would mean you should NOT be traveling by bus, train, or air for a long time before that guideline being taken out of the page,especially “Do your plans include traveling by bus, train, or air, which might makestaying 6 feet apart difficult?

I know you’re itching to be in Bonaire, that would be a long wait.
Yes, I can read. What is your point?

Taiwan setup thermal imaging cameras at all points of entry after Sars 2003. So since then anyone entering who had a high temperature was advised to seek medical assistance. Taiwan was prepared and knew another virus outbreak would happen in China sooner or later. There were already reports of the PLA doing germ warfare tests in the Wuhan Laboratory. It was the PLA that tried to shutdown any information about the new virus outbreak.

In December 2019 when the virus was known Taiwan already implemented wearing masks and monitoring and self quarantine for travelers. China lied about the virus jailing doctors in December 2019 for even saying there was a new virus. Some of those doctors died after treating infected patients.

There was one minor outbreak from an expat pilot for EVA Airlines who ignored protocols and got fined for lying about where he had been and it was his female companion that told the government where they had been together and she got infected from him. He sure did have some explaining to do to his wife and kids.

Fines over over US$35800 have been issued to people who even if not infected broke quarantine rules. People do travel in and out but those who break the rules will get caught as everyone has to to phone tracking and tracing of all the people you come into contact with even after you finish quarantine you still cannot go out to restaurants and crowded places for another week.

Palau may open up a travel bubble with Taiwan as both countries have no domestic cases.
If there was a chance to go there and not have to quarantine either side I would probably for a 2 or 3 weeks diving vacation there. Direct flight is 5 hours and not many people would be traveling on the flights.

Taiwan setup thermal imaging cameras at all points of entry after Sars 2003. So since then anyone entering who had a high temperature was advised to seek medical assistance. Taiwan was prepared and knew another virus outbreak would happen in China sooner or later. There were already reports of the PLA doing germ warfare tests in the Wuhan Laboratory. It was the PLA that tried to shutdown any information about the new virus outbreak.

In December 2019 when the virus was known Taiwan already implemented wearing masks and monitoring and self quarantine for travelers. China lied about the virus jailing doctors in December 2019 for even saying there was a new virus. Some of those doctors died after treating infected patients.

There was one minor outbreak from an expat pilot for EVA Airlines who ignored protocols and got fined for lying about where he had been and it was his female companion that told the government where they had been together and she got infected from him. He sure did have some explaining to do to his wife and kids.

Fines over over US$35800 have been issued to people who even if not infected broke quarantine rules. People do travel in and out but those who break the rules will get caught as everyone has to to phone tracking and tracing of all the people you come into contact with even after you finish quarantine you still cannot go out to restaurants and crowded places for another week.

Palau may open up a travel bubble with Taiwan as both countries have no domestic cases.
If there was a chance to go there and not have to quarantine either side I would probably for a 2 or 3 weeks diving vacation there. Direct flight is 5 hours and not many people would be traveling on the flights.

No need to repeat the wall of text. You asked why anyone should be concerned about others traveling. I explained it. Taiwan's government was/is on the ball. Other governments are not, so that's where the worry comes from. If your country had excess of 500,000 deaths, you too, would be worried about people traveling. Yeah, travel can be done safely, but not everyone can do it. It only takes one to spread to many.

Oh but we do, It is the State Premiers that are keeping it check, the Feds could not arrange a $h!# fight even if you supplied the ammunition.

Some of the US States were doing what they could. The previous US Feds sound like the same as yours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom