A question, (rhetorical)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's all about the accentuation

full.jpg

Clear masks can also pose an unpleasant issue with photography, due to that aforementioned peripheral glare. It may be difficult to clearly see or focus on your subject . . .

I like a black skirt mask.

What's everyone's opinions on white-skirted masks? Better/worse/equal to clear?

Anything that adds in scattered light is not useful and just makes your vision worst and distraction level higher. I dumped my clear skirted masks years ago and never looked back.

Anything that adds in scattered light is not useful ...//...
Such is my experience too. Years ago, I dived/dove a HydroOptix mask that gave an unbelievable field of view. No lie, not even close to what you see with a planar mask.

However, the HydroOptix hurt the bridge of my nose and I ended up selling it (cheap) to another aficionado in Hawaii. Mahalo...

Back on topic, when optometrists test you for cataracts, they shine an unfocused ring light around your eye and ask you if you can still read the chart. Clear skirts are probably just fine for snorkeling but I have no use for them.

I usually just give them to the grand kids to use in the pool.
Did just that, gave 2 masks to my wife's grand kids for their pool [ my grad kids have their own kids] , both mask were not good , the TUSA, OK [only just] the Cressi , not my style at all.
Cressi-Big-Eyes-Evo-Crystal-Blue.jpg
Tusa mask.jpeg

f5cfc6307e-jacqueline-bisset-harem_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqOgXemDa8m5b7dzdXD2OfwtHpR6h296SLmGFi8b0lBLc.jpg

According to conventional wisdom, the appearance of Jacqueline Bisset in the 1977 movie "The Deep" (above) was a key factor in boosting the popularity and hence the early sales of diving masks with clear silicone skirts. She allegedly used this kind of eyewear in the film because the extra light admitted made her facial expressions more visible and photogenic for the cinema-goer and not because it provided her with superior underwater vision or protection against allergies. Fashion and aesthetics sometimes outweigh science and technology when it comes to diving equipment as well as everyday clothing.:)

For what it's worth, I once purchased a clear silicone mask because my preferred choice of a traditional oval rubber-skirted mask was unavailable at the La Jolla store where I obtained snorkelling gear on a trip to southern California. The feel and glare of the mask spoiled my snorkelling experience at the Cove and I have never snorkelled with any kind of silicone-skirted mask since.

I like a black skirt mask.

What's everyone's opinions on white-skirted masks? Better/worse/equal to clear?

Picked up the apeks white mask. The white didnt bother me and i liked how it looked. But it didnt seal great for me so back to the atomic venom i went.

Tried the white tusa paragon too. My face just works best with atomic... wish they made a white skirt.

View attachment 644690
According to conventional wisdom, the appearance of Jacqueline Bisset in the 1977 movie "The Deep" (above) was a key factor in boosting the popularity and hence the early sales of diving masks with clear silicone skirts. She allegedly used this kind of eyewear in the film because the extra light admitted made her facial expressions more visible and photogenic for the cinema-goer and not because it provided her with superior underwater vision or protection against allergies. Fashion and aesthetics sometimes outweigh science and technology when it comes to diving equipment as well as everyday clothing.:)

For what it's worth, I once purchased a clear silicone mask because my preferred choice of a traditional oval rubber-skirted mask was unavailable at the La Jolla store where I obtained snorkelling gear on a trip to southern California. The feel and glare of the mask spoiled my snorkelling experience at the Cove and I have never snorkelled with any kind of silicone-skirted mask since.

I hadn't noticed a mask . . .

Back
Top Bottom