Akona Wetsuit Seals stuck (like GLUED) together!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pThrift

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I'm at the quarry this afternoon, I pull my 7mil suit out, and start to put it on. I get my foot in but reach some resistance at the bottom in the cuff. I think it's just the way I'm putting it on, so I attempt to pull the other leg on. Same result.

What the world? So I pull it completely off, and begin to investigate. The slick neoprene seals are like glued together. After some google-ing, I see the error in my ways (no talc powder, etc, when stored)

But my real question is, how do I get it un-stuck? Tried prying it apart at quarry, neoprene started to rip. I get it wet, thinking it will help, no avail. What do I do? The wetsuit is less than 2 months old, but IDK if this is a warranty issue, or a user error.

If I'm boned on warranty (it was purchased at LDS that's authorized dealer) then how do I salvage this thing? The entire seal is stuck stuck. Both legs, one arm.

:idk::idk:

---------- Post Merged on August 2nd, 2012 at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was on August 1st, 2012 at 09:50 PM ----------

no response? Nobody has had this happen & salvaged the suit?

The original poster hasn’t been on SB since 2014.

if you store neoprene, always talc it and never leave neo against neo or it will weld together.
At least put a piece of fabric or paper into the seals. :)

But my real question is, how do I get it un-stuck?

Apply some Toluene in there, or some scissors ready for the new seals

Glad this thread was resurrected. I just went and stuffed some wax paper into my wrist and ankle openings on my Akona 5 mil~!

Yeah it's interesting how someone usually contributes how old the thread is or what the original poster isn't doing, and then we have new life, and this time some answers, and helpful information, preventative wax paper what a great idea
I might go see my mum and raid her supply

Thanks for the advice. The issue is with my old semi dry scubapro suit. I wasn't smart back then and the wrist and ankle seals progressively stuck together. It's got hundreds of dives on it. I have a new Bare semi dry and have always been careful to leave the seals turned apart when dryng it.

My fifteen year old now fits into that old size small. I was wondering if I could resurrect the seals. The water was 53F yesterday. He was pretty warm considering. I may try with the toluene and report back if it works or try it on some test material.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom