Seasick shore dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GirlonFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After arriving at Blue Angel and doing a quick unpack and gear set up, I headed out for an afternoon shore dive.
The entry was a bit rough due to the waves but I found a lull and swam out.
After about 10 minutes, at 20 ft I started to actually get nauseous.
There was so much back and forth surging that if I looked up and ahead for longer than a few seconds, I got sea sick.
I don’t get sea sick on a boat so it was pretty interesting. Needless to say I cut the dive at about 38 minutes.
I hope tomorrow is better!

Surge dive can be the worst for seasickness. Once I see the sea fans oscillate side to side, I am screwed!

Surge dive can be the worst for seasickness. Once I see the sea fans oscillate side to side, I am screwed!
Seriously. It surprised me.
I bet coming in on overnight flights didn’t really help but I felt good before the dive.

Head to a local pharmacy and grab a bottle of Cinnarizina (Cinnarizine). It comes in many different mg pills (last we bought was 75mg pills) and we cut them in 1/4's. Recommended doses for sea sickness are all over the place from 10mg up to 30+. We settled on I guess about 20mg cutting them in 1/4 and if that didn't work we could go to cutting them in 1/2. Can't buy this in the USA but it's sold in Mexico and Canada. Last time we felt seasickness the owner of a local dive op told us to get it. It is also the official sea sickness pill of the Royal Navy. If it's good enough for them it's good enough for me. Others here will disagree and say their are far better patches and pills via prescription in the US but you aren't in the US and you need to find something that works on vaca that doesn't knock you out. Cinarizine works and it is cheap.

Oh, others here will commonly claim that Cinnarizine can case cancer, brain damage, seizures, and Lord knows what else. We've been taking them as needed on dive vaca's for years with no problem whatsoever. We aren't taking baths in the stuff or ingesting it daily for years. I'd rather take Cinnarizine and enjoy my diving than cutting dives short or risk hurling underwater with my reg out or through it at depth... Seen others do that... Lotsa fish show up out of nowhere... No interest in doing that personally.

Head to a local pharmacy and grab a bottle of Cinnarizina (Cinnarizine). It comes in many different mg pills (last we bought was 75mg pills) and we cut them in 1/4's. Recommended doses for sea sickness are all over the place from 10mg up to 30+. We settled on I guess about 20mg cutting them in 1/4 and if that didn't work we could go to cutting them in 1/2. Can't buy this in the USA but it's sold in Mexico and Canada. Last time we felt seasickness the owner of a local dive op told us to get it. It is also the official sea sickness pill of the Royal Navy. If it's good enough for them it's good enough for me. Others here will disagree and say their are far better patches and pills via prescription in the US but you aren't in the US and you need to find something that works on vaca that doesn't knock you out. Cinarizine works and it is cheap.

Oh, others here will commonly claim that Cinnarizine can case cancer, brain damage, seizures, and Lord knows what else. We've been taking them as needed on dive vaca's for years with no problem whatsoever. We aren't taking baths in the stuff or ingesting it daily for years. I'd rather take Cinnarizine and enjoy my diving than cutting dives short or risk hurling underwater with my reg out or through it at depth... Seen others do that... Lotsa fish show up out of nowhere... No interest in doing that personally.
How a soon before a dive do you take it? Does it last a while? I normally do not get sea sick but a little backup never hurts.

The wonderful thing about Cinnarizine is it works fast and if you are out on a boat and start to feel sick it is the one treatment that you can take on-the-spot and will remedy that feeling quickly. There's no need to take a pre-dose the night before (although some do) when diving and then some more the morning of diving. That is why we keep it in our dry bag. There are some days when we wake up and look at the crazy waves and know she may as well take her dose now before we even go out there (those are usually the days when it is so crazy and the port has been shut down for a day or 2 and it re-opens just as the nasty winds have past but it is still nasty). Everyone has their own tollerances to sea-sickness on top and surge underneath but the only reason you experienced surge was because ya went shorediving. Out on the reef and the deepser water there is no surge that could make one sick. I'm lucky as I almost never get seasick until the absolute worst of conditions may hit but my wife is far more succeptable. If she sees those crazy waves and we know we are going out she'll take her dose that morning with breakfast as a preventative measure but I wont... I keep it in the dry bag if I need it.

At least I was able to grab a few pix while fighting the surge
. F0BA9974-4B4D-426A-B5BB-ABAFB9E50E86.jpeg
F9D4DA66-C11B-45D6-B027-185B333EB2C6.jpeg D6158B53-2326-45DC-AFA9-EAA16FA2C8C6.jpeg
24A25098-C14F-444E-B738-6DA49E5E40FA.jpeg

He was a funny one

Don't get your finger near one as they'll hit it like a razor blade. When I've seen them they love to keep their little holes perfectly clean as they poke up and down looking out. Once I'm over the hole and one is back hidden a little piece of seaweed dropped down into its hole will bring it back up as it expells it for a photo shot. Some here will call me a molster of sealife but dropping a piece of seaweed down a hole doesn't make me a molester in my opinion. At the end of the day it's just shrimp cleaning it's hole and I'm giving it a little exercize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom