Scubapro Hydros Pro Sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

signal18

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

First time posting a thread here-- I've been getting so much great information from SB that I figured it was time to post something of my own here at long last! :)

I was just in the market for a new BC, having come off of an old (20+ years) Mares followed more recently by a Cressi Travelight (which I loved-- it was stolen, or so I thought, but that's another story for another time). Both fit well in size small.

For a variety of reasons I landed on the Hydros, but since I'm solidly on the border between two sizes according to their charts, I was looking for pointers on whether to go up or down-- I ended up with the small, and wanted to provide some of the thinking behind the decision.

For the sake of accuracy, I'll provide as much as I can about my measurements: I'm about 5'7.75", and range between 148-152 lbs. My jacket size is a solid 38S, and I border between size small and medium in t-shirts, etc. Waist size 30. Looking at the Hydros sizing chart, I'm either on the upper end of a small or lower end of a medium-- I understand that this is pretty specific, but others might might be able to graft this onto their specific situation if they're also borderline in Hydros sizing.

I went to my LDS, and tried both on, with a t-shirt and medium-thickness pullover, and it was really borderline there, too. The owner said he would solidly recommend me going with a small, though there was not a lot of tail to play with in any of the straps should I ever want to get into drysuit diving, for example (for now I'm a solid warm weather diver), and he said that medium was not out of the question.
To his credit, he said, "buy the small. Dive with it. If you really don't like it, come back and I'll exchange it for the medium."

So I bought the small, and once I got home I put on my thickest wetsuit (7mm) and tried the Hydros on on top of it. I took some pictures, which I'll post here; suffice it to say, considering underwater compression, coupled with the fact that, for now, 7mm is the bulkiest I'll be diving in, I think that small was the best choice, though I'm very interested to hear if anyone has been in a similar situation and either agrees or disagrees.

I will say that the waist belt does feel quite high, and there's not a lot of room to release in the shoulder straps to relieve this.

Also, a major disclaimer: I haven't yet dived with the BC, so please take this all with a large grain of salt. As soon as I do dive with it, I'll try and come back and post any impressions in case anything has changed.

Happy to try and answer any questions, if anyone is finding themselves in a similar place.

20210301_114321.jpg

20210301_114614.jpg

20210301_114340.jpg

20210301_114355.jpg

Not much adjustment with the shoulder straps there, the M would be my choice not the S.
Did you Try the M on ?

as another Hydros wearer, I would go with one size up. Once you start to customize and adjust, you are going to want a little more options with the sizing.

No much room for any adjustments at all. I'd take it back and try the M size again with the 7mm suit on. I think that you are better off with the M anyways.

I've ditched the weight pockets and replaced all the floppy webbing with good, stiff ones. i don't use the shoulder strap adjusters. just click the chest strap as if this were a BP/W. oh wait, it is. Kind of.

I can not fathom the need for so much plastic bucklery, swivels, connectors and doo-dads...........o_O

I can not fathom the need for so much plastic bucklery, swivels, connectors and doo-dads...........o_O

The nice thing about the hydros is that you can take all that crap off. once you have purged the doodads, you are left with a BP/W with a nearly indestructible wing, very sicky back plate, a harness with sticky shoulder straps and completely neutrally buoyant. add to that that there is nothing to absorb water and you are left with a fast drying, carry-on bcd. good stuff.

but yeah, all the plastic doo-dads are a waste.

You've been hoodwinked....and you seem like a smart fellow. Alas.

The nice thing about the hydros is that you can take all that crap off. once you have purged the doodads, you are left with a BP/W with a nearly indestructible wing, very sicky back plate, a harness with sticky shoulder straps and completely neutrally buoyant. add to that that there is nothing to absorb water and you are left with a fast drying, carry-on bcd. good stuff.

but yeah, all the plastic doo-dads are a waste.
What doo dads are you referring to? The weight pockets ?

Back
Top Bottom