Dive Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rycyt

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently completed my open water certification and intend to become more serious about diving. I purchased a scuba package from the dive centre and it included a dive computer.

The dive computer that comes with the package is a Scubapro A1, but I was offered an upgrade to a Suunto D4i Nova at no extra cost.

Does anyone know which would be a better option?

I intend to own one computer for as long as possible, but long-term wise I'm looking at doing my advanced course within the next few months, nitrox, wrecks and potentially caves in the future.

The dive store salesman recommended the A1, however most reviews I've seen listed it as a basic, beginner dive computer, whereas the D4i is marketed as a beginner - advanced level computer.

Hoping someone would be able to provide some insight into this.

Thanks in advance!

Do you mean this one, costing 499 USD?
https://www.amazon.com/Scubapro-Aladin-Wrist-Computer-Watch/dp/B07YN5FZF9
It looks incredibly expensive for a basic entry-level computer...
The Suunto D41 seems to cost the same (without USB cable):
https://www.amazon.com/Suunto-D4i-Novo-Wrist-Computer/dp/B07XCBVBBZ/ref=sr_1_2_sspa
It does not appear much better to me: crap and small monochrome display, RGBM algorithm instead of Bulhmann, etc.
I own a Cressi Leonardo, which has a much larger display and costed me just 99 eur on Amazon (on Prime Day).
If I had 500 bucks to spend, I had went straight to a Shearwater Peregrine:
https://www.amazon.com/Shearwater-Research-Peregrine-Dive-Computer/dp/B08DKFHD7P/ref=sr_1_1_sspa
50 bucks saved over the Scubapro or Suunto, larger and nice color display, and hey, it is a Shearwater, the best of the best!
But I do not have these 450 USD, so I keep my basic Leonardo, which is just fine for the "light deco" dives I do (which someone here consider "tech", but they are fully recreational for me, just safer than dives "just within NDL").

You have already bought the package so it is either A1 or D4i.
I would choose A1 over D4 simply because it uses Buhlmann ZH-L16 algorithm which is head and shoulder better than RGBM used on Sunnto.

Hi @rycyt

Assuming you are limited to these 2 computers, personally, I would go with the Scubapro. In the US, they list for the same price. The A1 runs Buhlmann ZH-L16 ADT MB and the D4i runs Suunto RGBM, both are proprietary. With the A1, by limiting the microbubble setting and the PDIS, the algorithm is moderate, middle of the road in the liberal to conservative spectrum. The D4i is probably more conservative, particularly on repetitive dives. Both are single gas The D4i has optional air integration, a transmitter would cost you about as much as the computer. AI does not make this a more advanced computer and I do not view it as an "upgrade". Both are battery powered. The A1 has Bluetooth, the D4i uses a USB cable. Both of these computers would be fine as a first computer and do everything you need, I would prefer the A1 deco algorithm, probably not a huge difference.

Best of luck, good diving

At some point in the future, you may want to get a more advanced dive computer (DC) and use A1 as a backup, especially when you will be doing liveaboards with 3-5 dives / day for the whole week trip. It’s no fun to have a DC to be out of commission (say, run out of battery) in the middle of the trip after you accumulate some residual nitrogen in your blood.

Then having both DC’s with the same algorithm is nice. So you would have similar results. Learn it from my mistake. I started with SUUNTO D4 and then got Shearwater Teric as my primary DC. I notice that D4 is way too conservative for me when I compare it with Teric as they run with 2 different algorithms. If you get A1 and later get a Shearwater DC, they both would have the same algorithm.

At some point in the future, you may want to get a more advanced dive computer (DC) and use A1 as a backup, especially when you will be doing liveaboards with 3-5 dives / day for the whole week trip. It’s no fun to have a DC to be out of commission (say, run out of battery) in the middle of the trip after you accumulate some residual nitrogen in your blood.

Then having both DC’s with the same algorithm is nice. So you would have similar results. Learn it from my mistake. I started with SUUNTO D4 and then got Shearwater Teric as my primary DC. I notice that D4 is way too conservative for me when I compare it with Teric as they run with 2 different algorithms. If you get A1 and later get a Shearwater DC, they both would have the same algorithm.
Actually, Scubapro uses a proprietary version of Buhlmann that only they use. It does not use gradient factors. It is more conservative than a GF high of 95 or DSAT, runs more like PZ+ or a GF high of 85. It's likely not easy to match Buhlmann with GF with a Scubapro.

Go for the Scubapro A1.
I am trying to figure out why he would want to spend $500 on this
71uuLV3VnOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

When for $450 he can get this.

61K99PZdS8L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I am trying to figure out why he would want to spend $500 on this
View attachment 645034

When for $450 he can get this.

View attachment 645035
Because the computers he listed are the ones included in the package he purchased. So, if he bought the Peregrine, it would be an additional $450.00, not a $50 savings.

Because the computers he listed are the ones included in the package he purchased. So, if he bought the Peregrine, it would be an additional $450.00, not a $50 savings.
He can always sell the Scubapro on Ebay (it is new and boxed) for 450 bucks, and buy the Peregrine...
Ok, no saving, but a much better computer!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom