Genesis 2.2 vs Seacraft vs Magnus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What else can Bluetooth connection on Genesis show (other than current battery status)?
@Jon Nellis can elaborate but

It tracks:
charge-discharge cycles
capacity
battery temps
cell status (if you have a failed cell you can see it)
discharge amps
charge amps
and more but I'm not connected at the moment to see all the variables

@Jon Nellis
You did a bit of a Tahoe Benchmark type study in South Florida just over a year ago. Are you allowed to tell how that benchmark turned out? I think, for me at least, it really solidifies the fact that I own the right scooter.

For the masses, I can own any scooter on the planet, regardless of cost. I've tried them all. When I was on the exploration team for Sally Ward, I used every major brand of scooter available. I own a Genesis 2.2. The cost is in line with Suex and Seacraft, but it's faster, has a longer burn time, and is easier to operate than any of the competitors.

I have owned a Mako, Gavin, DiveX Sierra, and now an older Genesis 1200 with an updated battery. I have ridden a Suex XJ, SS Magnus, and a Discovery. Of all of these, the Genesis, despite being 9 years old now, is still far ahead in terms of build quality, engineering, burntime, speed, and ease of driving.

What else can Bluetooth connection on Genesis show (other than current battery status)?

It will show pack voltage, individual cell voltages and charge/discharge graphs, temperatures from multiple sensors, current, cycles and remaining capacity %. It will also log faults that may occur, such as over/under temp, cell over/under voltage, over current and short circuit, if any of those occur.

@Jon Nellis
You did a bit of a Tahoe Benchmark type study in South Florida just over a year ago. Are you allowed to tell how that benchmark turned out?

We did not have enough time with the divers to do the test we had hoped for. There will likely be more testing later this year, but mainly on the SW, so it will not be very applicable to the standard motor as the SW motor has a higher power output and different efficiency curve.

I mean, the tech version came out in the middle of covid, so I'd give it a bit, but I can honestly say that I've seen more of them in the last month in NC alone than I've seen Genesis scooters in the last 10 years of cave diving... I wish it wasn't the case, and hopefully it changes soon, but Genesis owners on the east coast are quite rare.[/QUOTE]

Count me as one of an extremely happy east coast Genesis owner. I had (and still have for a backup) an entry Aquaprop L for a couple of years. I thought it was a great DPV and I dove it about 200 dives. Then I bought the Genesis 2.1 and my joy underwater exploded. What a difference!

So, to roll this thread back to what I think was the point of the OP....

I was looking at the online info for the Genesis 2.1 and the Seacraft Future. This is how they compare on paper. Anybody have any additional insight into this comparison? Are their important features of either DPV that I left off?

Genesis 850 Watt-hours
Seacraft 750 Wh, or 1000 Wh

Genesis 15.2kg (33.5#)
Seacraft 15.9kg (for 750 or 1000)

Genesis 90# thrust (400N)
Seacraft 76# (340 N) thrust

Genesis 14.0km at 150fpm
Seacraft 11.7km at 45m/min (for the 750), 15.7km (for the 1000) *45m is 148 feet

Genesis 306 minutes at 150fpm (claimed 8.7 miles range at 150fpm, so 8.7*5280/150 = 306)
Seacraft 260 minutes at 45m/min, 350 minutes (for the 1000)

Genesis 24.3 inches long/61.7cm
Seacraft 84.5cm

Genesis 200m max depth (300m optional)
Seacraft 150m

Those are the specs. Now for the features:

Genesis - remove cover to charge via external recharge connector - cannot drive with cover off
Seacraft - same

Genesis - vacuum test port
Seacraft - I don't see where Seacraft has anything like this

Genesis - can run in air without damage
Seacraft - I don't see where Seacraft mentions this

Genesis - controls are "handed". I.e. if you primarily drive with your left hand, you'd want to change the controls.
Seacraft - controls are fully ambidextrous. You can easily drive with either hand during the same dive.

Genesis - magnetic prop coupling
Seacraft - magnetic prop coupling

Genesis - inlet guide vanes to eliminate torque while driving
Seacraft - Post-swirl stator system to eliminate torque while driving

Genesis - infinitely variable speed control
Seacraft - defined gears for speeds - not infinitely variable?

Genesis - Sentry is extra cost option
Seacraft - burntime display is included

Genesis - Warp Core battery system
Seacraft - proprietary battery pack?

Seacraft - option to power external accessories (e.g. lights or heat) from scooter's internal battery
Genesis - no comparable option

Genesis - can convert between 850 Wh and 1700 Wh by adding Warp Core layers and swapping body tube.
Seacraft - can convert between 750 and 1000 just by changing battery packs?? (unknown - battery page refers to Future standard 750 Wh, and Future long 1000 Wh, so maybe it also requires a different body tube)

Looking at the comparison, what I get is that they have some cool stuff in common, like the magnetic prop shaft.

But, overall, the Genesis looks like what I would buy.

Shorter and lighter. More thrust. Runtime/burntime for the Genesis is right in between the Future 750 and 1000. Easily replaceable and inexpensive batteries. Potentially easy to fly with.

So, to roll this thread back to what I think was the point of the OP....

I was looking at the online info for the Genesis 2.1 and the Seacraft Future. This is how they compare on paper. Anybody have any additional insight into this comparison? Are their important features of either DPV that I left off?

Genesis 850 Watt-hours
Seacraft 750 Wh, or 1000 Wh

Genesis 15.2kg (33.5#)
Seacraft 15.9kg (for 750 or 1000)

Genesis 90# thrust (400N)
Seacraft 76# (340 N) thrust

Genesis 14.0km at 150fpm
Seacraft 11.7km at 45m/min (for the 750), 15.7km (for the 1000) *45m is 148 feet

Genesis 306 minutes at 150fpm (claimed 8.7 miles range at 150fpm, so 8.7*5280/150 = 306)
Seacraft 260 minutes at 45m/min, 350 minutes (for the 1000)

Genesis 24.3 inches long/61.7cm
Seacraft 84.5cm

Genesis 200m max depth (300m optional)
Seacraft 150m

Those are the specs. Now for the features:

Genesis - remove cover to charge via external recharge connector - cannot drive with cover off
Seacraft - same

Genesis - vacuum test port
Seacraft - I don't see where Seacraft has anything like this

Genesis - can run in air without damage
Seacraft - I don't see where Seacraft mentions this

Genesis - controls are "handed". I.e. if you primarily drive with your left hand, you'd want to change the controls.
Seacraft - controls are fully ambidextrous. You can easily drive with either hand during the same dive.

Genesis - magnetic prop coupling
Seacraft - magnetic prop coupling

Genesis - inlet guide vanes to eliminate torque while driving
Seacraft - Post-swirl stator system to eliminate torque while driving

Genesis - infinitely variable speed control
Seacraft - defined gears for speeds - not infinitely variable?

Genesis - Sentry is extra cost option
Seacraft - burntime display is included

Genesis - Warp Core battery system
Seacraft - proprietary battery pack?

Seacraft - option to power external accessories (e.g. lights or heat) from scooter's internal battery
Genesis - no comparable option

Genesis - can convert between 850 Wh and 1700 Wh by adding Warp Core layers and swapping body tube.
Seacraft - can convert between 750 and 1000 just by changing battery packs?? (unknown - battery page refers to Future standard 750 Wh, and Future long 1000 Wh, so maybe it also requires a different body tube)

You have a few errors here at least on the Genesis, not sure in the sea craft.

I think you are missing comparing support and $ to ship to the manufacturer (for issues).

In the very rare event that one of my customers had an issue with Genesis, Jon Nellis covered shipping when the issue was Jon’s fault. When the issue was my fault (I borrowed a customers scooter) I covered shipping. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom