Drysuit undergarments multiple days of diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
What does everyone do when they are doing multiple days of drysuit diving? Like a week long trip to Mexico?

Do you wash them? Does it dry in time? Do you have multiple sets?

I am buying Fourth Element undergarments not too terribly thick.

I hang mine up and blow a fan on them......they usually arent super wet, just damp from sweat, so they dry in a few hours....

if you have a leak, you may want to wash and dry according to mfg. recommendations.......i try not to wash mine too frequently, as that can effect the insulation ability (or so ive heard)......if you can afford multiple sets, a spare set might not be a bad idea.

I use Xerotherm or Sharkskins in MX, Arctics would be to warm for me plus I would need more lead with aluminum tanks. Sometimes I hand wash them in the sink and hang dry on the balcony, they should be dry by the next day if it’s sunny. If it’s only a week I probably wouldn’t bother washing them.

Have 2-3 sets of base layer. Unless you’re sweating really badly, you should be able to get by with maybe only washing heavier undies 1-2 times.

if heavier undies get wet, there’s no reason to wash them. Just dry them. Saves time. Fan is best, but if you have to put them in a dryer, use the LOW setting.

A week about my limit without washing. If you’re using a baselayer and not dealing w oppressively hot surface conditions, you’ll be better off. A post drysuit on, pre gear up rinse in the water helps alleviate the imbalance.

I use Xerotherm or Sharkskins in MX

Xerotherm alone, or with a base layer?

I'm thinking baselayer plus Arctic for the High Springs area.

Xerotherm alone, or with a base layer?

I'm thinking baselayer plus Arctic for the High Springs area.
As with anything, it comes down to your personal tolerance. With a shell drysuit, I wear base layer and arctics in high springs area caves. I am very comfortable in that. Base and xerotherms for mexico.

As with anything, it comes down to your personal tolerance. With a shell drysuit, I wear base layer and arctics in high springs area caves. I am very comfortable in that. Base and xerotherms for mexico.

It gives me someplace to start. And there is scooter dive vs swimming dive.

I'm probably going to continue to wear my heated vest, but instead of it being on for the entire dive, it would be more for deco as you aren't swimming as much.

I usually skip the base layer sometimes I might use a Patagonia merino top. I don’t think it makes a huge difference either way with regards to staying warm but it will keep the sweat off your body.

I use Arctics in Florida caves usually without base layer unless it’s really cold outside and Arctics with a base layer for NE diving down to the mid 40’s.

Regarding MX I’ve seen people using Arctics but they are usually smaller/slimmer folks, or if they need to offset the weight of their system. I’d probably wear Arctics if I was doing 4+ hours but I’m not there yet.

It gives me someplace to start. And there is scooter dive vs swimming dive.

I'm probably going to continue to wear my heated vest, but instead of it being on for the entire dive, it would be more for deco as you aren't swimming as much.
Heated vest in MX???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom