Seasick shore dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't get your finger near one as they'll hit it like a razor blade. When I've seen them they love to keep their little holes perfectly clean as they poke up and down looking out. Once I'm over the hole and one is back hidden a little piece of seaweed dropped down into its hole will bring it back up as it expells it for a photo shot. Some here will call me a molster of sealife but dropping a piece of seaweed down a hole doesn't make me a molester in my opinion.
I don’t mess with mantis shrimp

I don’t mess with mantis shrimp

I was lucky enough to see 2 out and about doing a mating dance together. Full view in the shallows and I'm like LOOK AT THIS in this seaweed! Of course, no one was around and my "buddy" wife was off on her own taking pics so she missed it. I managed to take a few pics of this pair of Manits shrimp doing their thing. Was a very special thing to see.

Head to a local pharmacy and grab a bottle of Cinnarizina (Cinnarizine). It comes in many different mg pills (last we bought was 75mg pills) and we cut them in 1/4's. Recommended doses for sea sickness are all over the place from 10mg up to 30+. We settled on I guess about 20mg cutting them in 1/4 and if that didn't work we could go to cutting them in 1/2. Can't buy this in the USA but it's sold in Mexico and Canada. Last time we felt seasickness the owner of a local dive op told us to get it. It is also the official sea sickness pill of the Royal Navy. If it's good enough for them it's good enough for me. Others here will disagree and say their are far better patches and pills via prescription in the US but you aren't in the US and you need to find something that works on vaca that doesn't knock you out. Cinarizine works and it is cheap.

Oh, others here will commonly claim that Cinnarizine can case cancer, brain damage, seizures, and Lord knows what else. We've been taking them as needed on dive vaca's for years with no problem whatsoever. We aren't taking baths in the stuff or ingesting it daily for years. I'd rather take Cinnarizine and enjoy my diving than cutting dives short or risk hurling underwater with my reg out or through it at depth... Seen others do that... Lotsa fish show up out of nowhere... No interest in doing that personally.
Does it make you sleepy?

Does it make you sleepy?

Nope. However, everyone is different. It is known as being one of the meds that generally doesn't make people drowsy. I've taken some OTC sea sickness meds that made me feel so tired I wished I hadn't taken them and would have preferred to risk the slight chance (for me) of getting sea sick.

Does it make you sleepy?

I also have to believe the Royal Navy wouldn't be giving its men and women a sea sickness pill that commonly reduced their responsiveness, effectiveness and led to 8 hours of miserable drowsiness after taking it. That's why we will never be without Cinnarizine in Coz or wherever we travel where it may not be available.

Glad we had it with us on our last trip to Kona, Hawaii in Feb 2020 when it can get a little crazy during the winter months. Couldn't buy it there (US State) but we had it. Ya want to talk about surge? Try Kona in the winter! It will rock ya back and forth UW like a baby in arms of the sea! There were a few near shore swim-throughs I could have used a crash helmet. Of course, no one was injured, just have to time your entry with the surge and get ready to be shot out the other side like a cannon ball.

I also have to believe the Royal Navy wouldn't be giving its men and women a sea sickness pill that commonly reduced their responsiveness, effectiveness and led to 8 hours of miserable drowsiness after taking it. That's why we will never be without Cinnarizine in Coz or wherever we travel where it may not be available.

Glad we had it with us on our last trip to Kona, Hawaii in Feb 2020 when it can get a little crazy during the winter months. Couldn't buy it there (US State) but we had it. Ya want to talk about surge? Try Kona in the winter! It will rock ya back and forth UW like a baby in arms of the sea! There were a few near shore swim-throughs I could have used a crash helmet. Of course, no one was injured, just have to time your entry with the surge and get ready to be shot out the other side like a cannon ball.
Good to know. Some of the research listed drowsiness but I guess I’ll have to try it to see for sure.would be great to have for the er Kit for liveaboard trips

Take a ginger pill..or pure ginger.

Take a ginger pill..or pure ginger.

Just did a search on "ginger for seasickness" and got all kinds of hits relating to seasickness, motion sickness, morning sickness, car sickness. Seems like it may be a viable alternative to a pharmaceutical.

Just did a search on "ginger for seasickness" and got all kinds of hits relating to seasickness, motion sickness, morning sickness, car sickness. Seems like it may be a viable alternative to a pharmaceutical.

Most have known of Ginger's potential use to calm an upset stomach due to it's ability to enhance digestion but that is a different thing. Sea-sickness/ motion sickness is caused by the signals the inner ear sends to the brain while the eyes see something different that results in a processing conflict. This is why they say if you're ever sea sick on a boat the last place you should go is down into the cabin and lay down because your eyes will see a static interior while your ears will tell you you are pitching and rolling. You stay up top and focus on the horizon so the pitching and rolling you feel matches what your eyes see when focused on the horizon. I don't believe ingesting ginger solves that conflict of signals (but I could be wrong). Personally, I'll stick to what works because if Ginger doesn't work all it will do is make breakfast taste a little better when it gets hurled up.

Some people swear by those sea sickness pressure bands one can wear around their wrists. I don't believe it but whatever works is all that matters.

Most have known of Ginger's potential use to calm an upset stomach due to it's ability to enhance digestion but that is a different thing. Sea-sickness/ motion sickness is caused by the signals the inner ear sends to the brain while the eyes see something different that results in a processing conflict. This is why they say if you're ever sea sick on a boat the last place you should go is down into the cabin and lay down because your eyes will see a static interior while your ears will tell you you are pitching and rolling. You stay up top and focus on the horizon so the pitching and rolling you feel matches what your eyes see when focused on the horizon. I don't believe ingesting ginger solves that conflict of signals (but I could be wrong). Personally, I'll stick to what works because if Ginger doesn't work all it will do is make breakfast taste a little better when it gets hurled up.

Some people swear by those sea sickness pressure bands one can wear around their wrists. I don't believe it but whatever works is all that matters.

Those pressure bands may an example of the placebo effect for those who are not severely affected by motion sickness.

I have been fortunate not having any seasickness or nausea problems whatsoever while on a boat or diving in surge conditions. I remember taking some dimenhydinate tablets along for my first live aboard trip. I was fine but, my roommate consumed all his and half of my tablets. I've heard that not having a history motion sickness is not a guarantee of not having future issues. I'll take the pills along, just in case:vomit:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom