WTB Tank Whip (For Cleaning)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Good day All,

I know I can get this from NESS so if this doesn't work that'll be where I go.

Tank Whip - Standard Length

If you have one you'd like to part with, let me know. Thanks, and happy diving!

Another option I've seen (if this doesn't work out) is to cut a slot in a piece of aluminum rod, slide a 2 inch x 8 inch strip of green scrubby pad through it.

Just an idea,

James

Another option I've seen (if this doesn't work out) is to cut a slot in a piece of aluminum rod, slide a 2 inch x 8 inch strip of green scrubby pad through it.

Just an idea,

James

Would that whip out surface rust? I get the rod, but what type of green scrubby pad?

I would probably slap a rubber cap on the end of the rod too, but I'm also paranoid! lol

I would probably slap a rubber cap on the end of the rod too, but I'm also paranoid! lol

What about the green "dust" that would most certainly come off the pad? Or does he do this wet and wash out the tanks after?

The 2 shops around here that I've seen whip tanks have not washed out after, just blow them out and seal back up.

e oh, yes, rubber cap and something in the threads of the tank to protect those... can't be paranoid enough I don't think!

In reverse order,

For protecting the tank threads, a 3/4 to 1/2 PVC reducer can be slid on the whip before you chuck in in the drill, then thread it into the tank neck. Easy protective collar.

Local shop whips wet, rinse till water comes out clean, final near boiling rinse (evaporates out fast), and then an electric air mattress pump with 1/2 inch PVC pipe to blow the air from the bottom of the tank for final dry (fully dry in 20 minutes, give or take).

In reverse order,

For protecting the tank threads, a 3/4 to 1/2 PVC reducer can be slid on the whip before you chuck in in the drill, then thread it into the tank neck. Easy protective collar.

Local shop whips wet, rinse till water comes out clean, final near boiling rinse (evaporates out fast), and then an electric air mattress pump with 1/2 inch PVC pipe to blow the air from the bottom of the tank for final dry (fully dry in 20 minutes, give or take).

Thanks for the detail. What about skinny neck tanks, what do they use to protect those threads? I'm sure I could find something, but why reinvent the wheel...

Do you know if they use a rust prohibitive when washing out?

I'm just curious. I read a lot and am trying to come up with a good gameplan how to clean my tanks after hydro.... I'm sure things will change over time.

Thanks for the detail. What about skinny neck tanks, what do they use to protect those threads? I'm sure I could find something, but why reinvent the wheel...

Do you know if they use a rust prohibitive when washing out?

I'm just curious. I read a lot and am trying to come up with a good gameplan how to clean my tanks after hydro.... I'm sure things will change over time.

I haven't had occasion yet to do a skinny neck tank, but I assume a similar PVC bushing/adapter could be found in the Dive section of Lowes.

More to follow in a PM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom