0 to Full Cave in 150 dives?

0 to Full Cave in 150 dives, what do you think?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I voted “Depends on the diver”

In Kwajalein we have divers at both ends of the spectrum.

There’s this one diver who by the time he had 30 dives could have been a poster child for balance trim and neutral buoyancy. This guy came from a swimming family with included competition swimmers and even an Olympian. He just felt comfortable and confident in the water from day one.

Then there’s another “diver” at the other end... He likes to over weight himself and use an extra large air cylinder so in his mind he can get down easier. Dives vertically and reminds me of the Peanuts cartoon character Pigpen as he stirs up the bottom with his fins. He has over 200 dives ...and about that many dive buddies as few will dive with him twice. It’s not that he does not know how to control the dive, because he has demonstrated control when he wants to, it’s because he doesn’t want...his words.

So I have seen at least one dive who would have done fine with 100 dives. And another diver who should stick to playing with rubber duckies in the bathtub.

My tech training was a bit of a non standard order
I went from 0/single tank OC to rebreather to full cave in <200 dives.
I was never set on being a cave diver, I went RB to dive the deeper wrecks in the great lakes. But it's hard to teach a trimix class when the lakes are all frozen over. Around here, cave is 'something to do' during the winter months because they never freeze over.

I think that training and experience has taken a backseat to money and certifications. Maybe people can go from 0 to full cave that quickly, depending on the diver. Is full cave the equivalent of personal depth records? Just doing it to do.

If the certification was issued in accordance with certifying agency guidelines and the student was trained by a well respected instructor that makes students earn certifications, I am not sure what the issue is. If you feel 150 dives is too few your concern should be targeted at certifying agency and their course prerequisites.

Is full cave the equivalent of personal depth records? Just doing it to do.

For some maybe. Why did you get into cave diving?

I’ll take training shortly before moving to Greece as there are some awesome caves there. Will be hiring Stratis Kas at first.

If the certification was issued in accordance with certifying agency guidelines and the student was trained by a well respected instructor that makes students earn certifications, I am not sure what the issue is. If you feel 150 dives is too few your concern should be targeted at certifying agency and their course prerequisites.
Numerous agencies EXIST almost solely to make money. The training bits are merely incidental.

Accepting cave/cavern instructor crossovers without any review? Yep
Having zero instructor QA process? Yep
Having zero (instructor or student) continuing education requirements to remain active? Yep
Putting up with instructors who lie about their own experience levels? Yep
Accepting any old random full cave diver as cavern instructors? Yep
Accepting felony drug dealers as good stewards of caves? Yep

The list goes on and on. Agencies can't even ensure their (cave) instructors are adequate and certainly there are many cave & cavern instructors who are terrible. Why would you bother talking to an agency about appropriate experience levels? You might as well talk to a wall.

lemme fix that for you. Almost all of them exist solely to make money, there are only a couple exceptions to that...
Sounds like politicians.. actually, most people in general.

I happened into cave diving as part of a job on a live aboard. Most of my “beginning” cave diving was done on Andros, which most people wouldn’t consider appropriate for beginners. From then it was just a natural extension of my diving. Not to mention, Andros and other Bahamian islands with blue holes are epic.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom