First aid kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need two kits.

One kit has day to day things like bandaides, NSAIDs, tums, etc.

The other kit has life saving gear like tourniquets, nose trumpets, or whatever else that is reasonable to carry.

The reason for the two kits, is that you don't want someone looking for a large bandaide to open up a $5 pressure dressing.

You need two kits.

One kit has day to day things like bandaides, NSAIDs, tums, etc.

The other kit has life saving gear like tourniquets, nose trumpets, or whatever else that is reasonable to carry.

The reason for the two kits, is that you don't want someone looking for a large bandaide to open up a $5 pressure dressing.

I actually used a tool box for my car first aid kit. It has easy access compartments on top that I use for the regularly needed items like band-aids, etc. The more critical, less often (hopefully never) needed items live safely inside.

I’ve been trying to assemble my own diver first aid kit and made a list of items. Please critique them.

Tourniquet
Emergency blanket
QUIK clot
Liquid Prednisone
Ear drops
Zyrtec
Bandaids
Alcohol wipes
Iodine swabs
Triple antibiotic packets
Jellyfish ointment
Sunscreen
Steri strips
Benadryl
Syringe
18 Gauge irrigation tip for syringe
Gloves (sterile and individually packaged)
New skin
Skin glue (Dermabond)
Hemostats
Tweezers
Plastic wrap
Gauze pads (4x4 and abdominal)
Gauze roll
Electrolytes
Lip balm
Cold pack
Shears
Lidocaine cream
Cortisone cream
Epi pen
Advil
Tylenol
Saline solution
Tums
Imodium
Waterproof tape
Triangular bandage (cravat)

I’ve been trying to assemble my own diver first aid kit and made a list of items. Please critique them.

Tourniquet
Emergency blanket
QUIK clot
Liquid Prednisone
Ear drops
Zyrtec
Bandaids
Alcohol wipes
Iodine swabs
Triple antibiotic packets
Jellyfish ointment
Sunscreen
Steri strips
Benadryl
Syringe
18 Gauge irrigation tip for syringe
Gloves (sterile and individually packaged)
New skin
Skin glue (Dermabond)
Hemostats
Tweezers
Plastic wrap
Gauze pads (4x4 and abdominal)
Gauze roll
Electrolytes
Lip balm
Cold pack
Shears
Lidocaine cream
Cortisone cream
Epi pen
Advil
Tylenol
Saline solution
Tums
Imodium
Waterproof tape
Triangular bandage (cravat)

+1 for this setup

Basically what I have. I travel a lot and end up in very remote places for long periods of time so to add to this I always have.
Keflex
Cipro
Flagyl

Good broad band spectrum of antibiotic to have on hand. Also usually also have some amoxicillin and dimenhydrinate (I find people are always needing this plus Tums or Imodium especially when your in a 3rd world country)

I carry a coleman expedition first aid kit with a few changes. I add a tube of triple antibiotic, a tube of hydrocortisone, and throw away the crappy bandages. I replace the bandages with some of the band-aid tough cloth bandaids because those actually stay on. Probably costs $30 after the changes.

I've kept that in my car for years, and used it many times for my kids or their friends or for myself/someone else at a dive site or wherever. Very handy thing to have around.

I also keep a RescueEAN in my save-a-dive bag. It's a little regulator thingy that you can attach to a tank of nitrox. On the other end is the standard continuous flow mask for emergencies. Not as good as 100% but a hell of a lot better than air, and I've usually got at least 36% around. That's the theory anyway, I've never actually needed it so maybe it was wasted money. Also came with some other stuff like a bag valve mask and one of those cpr mask things. It was around $100 plus shipping from Europe (or Europa, never can be sure).

All of the stuff listed above are great. I have found it is a good idea to have some cue cards in the kits for those who need reminders. DAN has an O2 cue card showing how the kit is hooked up and a neurological card for deco hits. There is another card for marine life injuries.

+1 for this setup

Basically what I have. I travel a lot and end up in very remote places for long periods of time so to add to this I always have.
Keflex
Cipro
Flagyl

Good broad band spectrum of antibiotic to have on hand. Also usually also have some amoxicillin and dimenhydrinate (I find people are always needing this plus Tums or Imodium especially when your in a 3rd world country)

yeah I also carry keflex and z packs, I didn’t list them because not everyone can get them. Is flagyl for giardiasis? We go to a lot of third world areas for three weeks.

All of the stuff listed above are great. I have found it is a good idea to have some cue cards in the kits for those who need reminders. DAN has an O2 cue card showing how the kit is hooked up and a neurological card for deco hits. There is another card for marine life injuries.
I am going to look for this card.

I carry a coleman expedition first aid kit with a few changes. I add a tube of triple antibiotic, a tube of hydrocortisone, and throw away the crappy bandages. I replace the bandages with some of the band-aid tough cloth bandaids because those actually stay on. Probably costs $30 after the changes.

I've kept that in my car for years, and used it many times for my kids or their friends or for myself/someone else at a dive site or wherever. Very handy thing to have around.

I also keep a RescueEAN in my save-a-dive bag. It's a little regulator thingy that you can attach to a tank of nitrox. On the other end is the standard continuous flow mask for emergencies. Not as good as 100% but a hell of a lot better than air, and I've usually got at least 36% around. That's the theory anyway, I've never actually needed it so maybe it was wasted money. Also came with some other stuff like a bag valve mask and one of those cpr mask things. It was around $100 plus shipping from Europe (or Europa, never can be sure).

I’m going to look into this, thanks!

Europe (or Europa, never can be sure).
In my opinion its the same continent :) If speaking English, I will use Europe and when speaking Dutch (The language of The Netherlands) it will be Europa.
I've bought a First-aid backpack and added some extra items, more specific some pain killers and water. Antibiotic and cortisol creme's, or Predinison are not freely available in The Netherlands,
Furthermore I'm completing the setup for an oxygen set being build around a 40Cuft, cylinder. I'm using an adapter from the standard dive connection towards a "European" bull-nose connection. I've got a proper free-flow system reducer incl. facemask, and can use a Stage regulator if a victim is till conscious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom