Paralenz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine’s been very reliable over the past two years. Most pleased that it’s not flooded in 150+ dives down to 75m/245ft.

It is quirky. The firmware’s improved.

I’ve bought the update kit and use the strong ball mount to put it on my canister torch (either a NW7 or an Anchor 189). Have used it on a tray. I’m not a photographer and just want it with me in case there’s something interesting — no point in seeing a mermaid if there’s no photo evidence.

it’s just about small enough to be convenient. Battery life’s great >2 hours. Pictures OK.

Much better than a GoPro + housing which I’ve flooded.

I would consider using a modern GoPro in a proper dive housing (metal not plastic) if I was doing more photography simply because of the viewfinder, although the battery life is poor.

My dive buddy has Paralenz and I have GoPro6. During our trip to Cocos, last December, I compared both video cameras. Below is one minute video taken by both cameras. The fist 35 second is shot by my GoPro6 and the remainingt was shot by his Paralenz. So, you can compare them yourself.

My Friend invested in teh New Paralanz, he went through it in detail on his channel (Brian Davis Scuba)

Bear in mind I've had my money at the ready to buy one, and I despise my GoPro - I'm almost a fanboi

When i saw teh comparable footage from the 2 on the same dive, to say I was disappointed is an understatement. Gutted

My money is still in my bank and i'll wait for the firmware to improve because the quality isn't there

Your GoPro video looked better to me

@Dan - nice video. My buttocks are still clenched at the thought of diving with sharks! I digress...

Interesting comparison. Not quite like for like, but definitely one nil to the GoPro. Was the image stabilisation turned on for the Paralenz? (Although I’d be shaking with that shark around!)

Does anyone else know of an A:B comparison with the Paralenz and GoPro?

IMHO the main benefits of the Paralenz is its reliability, especially at depth. It comes with me on every dive whether or not I use it — need video of the mermaids.

Reactions: Dan
@Dan - nice video. My buttocks are still clenched at the thought of diving with sharks! I digress...

Interesting comparison. Not quite like for like, but definitely one nil to the GoPro. Was the image stabilisation turned on for the Paralenz? (Although I’d be shaking with that shark around!)

IMHO the main benefits of the Paralenz is its reliability, especially at depth. It comes with me on every dive whether or not I use it — need video of the mermaids.

Hehehe. It was my first time to see the (14-footer?) big mama tiger shark popped in from no where.

paralenz has a niche if you need more depth rating than provided by the standard gopro dive housing as they end up cheaper than a gopro black + aluminum/delrin tech housing. issue is the vast majority of divers are fine with a 60m/200ft depth limit. the newer vaquita has a bigger sensor than the gopro, but a jump to 2/3" would have been more significant.

My dive buddy has Paralenz and I have GoPro6. During our trip to Cocos, last December, I compared both video cameras. Below is one minute video taken by both cameras. The fist 35 second is shot by my GoPro6 and the remainingt was shot by his Paralenz. So, you can compare them yourself.

I wonder how the gopro video would look without lights and a red filter on the lens? also is this post edit or raw footage from the cameras? the paralenze video is pointing up at the bottom of the shark the gopro footage is pointed down toward the reef... I have a gopro and lots of blue water footage from the caribbean. if I use expensive filters that get destroyed by the rocks on evey dive I do here, I get good footage from my Gopro. I will do my own side by side in the spring with raw video and no filter on my GoPro, after all this is why I bought the Paralenz, to not have to use external

Question for Paralenz owners: is the internal battery ever a problem? My GoPro must get accidentally switched on in my gear bag, because even though I put in a fresh battery after every use, half the time I pull it out, it's dead. One battery also doesn't last through a full day on a 3-tank boat, so I always bring spares. It occurs to me I couldn't do that with a Paralenz.

Question for Paralenz owners: is the internal battery ever a problem? My GoPro must get accidentally switched on in my gear bag, because even though I put in a fresh battery after every use, half the time I pull it out, it's dead. One battery also doesn't last through a full day on a 3-tank boat, so I always bring spares. It occurs to me I couldn't do that with a Paralenz.
I have not had mine to use long enough, I also have never needed a second battery for my gopro...

I wonder how the gopro video would look without lights and a red filter on the lens? also is this post edit or raw footage from the cameras? the paralenze video is pointing up at the bottom of the shark the gopro footage is pointed down toward the reef... I have a gopro and lots of blue water footage from the caribbean. if I use expensive filters that get destroyed by the rocks on evey dive I do here, I get good footage from my Gopro. I will do my own side by side in the spring with raw video and no filter on my GoPro, after all this is why I bought the Paralenz, to not have to use external

I don’t post edit my videos. All raw videos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom