Outer Banks Diving in March?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hal

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings. We'll be in Nags Head for a couple of weeks in March and, as coming from the DC area with few close diving opportunities, was hoping to take advantage of being down there to get in a dive or two. Haven't found shops doing any diving this time of year. Realize that the offshore wrecks aren't likely but any place that might be doing nearby sound/beach dives? Suggestions appreciated.

Hal

I can't answer your specific question, but I do question diving the sounds. They are not very deep and I don't know just what there would be to see other than a sandy bottom. The Albemarle sound, which is closest to Nags Head, is only 25' max depth. The Pamlico Sound, which I have fished in many times, is only about 22' deep in "the hole" about 10-15 miles north of Hatteras Village. Otherwise, it is normally less than 10' deep.

Shore diving may drop off quicker but I'm not sure how far out you'd have to go to get into deeper water. And the water would probably be rather murky due to the surf and tides kicking up quite a bit of sand. Unless you can find a charter open and willing to take you out in March, you may be out of luck on your upcoming trip.

Sorry for stomping on your plan, but just trying to be realistic.

Thanks, Gregg. Appreciate the input - realized it might not work but thought it was worth a try!

Hal

You're welcome. Actually, I just saw on a Facebook group I subscribe to where a guy has been posting about diving the Diamond Shoals in that area. He has posted some photos he took in February and says the water temps are in the low 80's at the Gulf Stream. Hatteras Island is usually very close in to Hatteras Island since the island sticks so for out into the Atlantic. He doesn't say how he got out there, but I'll try and find out if he went out with a charter.

You're welcome. Actually, I just saw on a Facebook group I subscribe to where a guy has been posting about diving the Diamond Shoals in that area. He has posted some photos he took in February and says the water temps are in the low 80's at the Gulf Stream. Hatteras Island is usually very close in to Hatteras Island since the island sticks so for out into the Atlantic. He doesn't say how he got out there, but I'll try and find out if he went out with a charter.

That would be great, thanks! And while warm water is always nice, less concerned about that thanks to the drysuit!

Well, I"ve not heard back from the guy yet. I will try sending him a PM and see if he responds.

I had to do a little bit of searching, but I finally found where he had actually answered me but not directly. That's why I didn't get a notification when he did respond.

The name of the dive op is Dive Hatteras. They are located in Hatteras Village, which is about an hour away from Nags Head.

Reactions: Hal
Only real shop in Nags Head area is Roanoke Island Outfitters. Not sure if they're doing charters that early in the season but they generally do have guided shore dives as well, theres a few wrecks in the Kill Devil Hills area you can swim out to, just not sure again if they'd be doing them that early... Check in with them. Good luck!

Reactions: Hal
Thank you all. Tried both of these but doesn't look like it will work this trip. Will have to save it for another time. Again, thanks!

Hal

Sorry it didn't work out for you. I have not dived the Outer Banks yet but maybe some day. Even though I live in NC, the Outer Banks takes about twice as long to get to from my location as it does to Wilmington or the Morehead City/Beaufort area, both of which have great dive charters. Even diving out of the North Myrtle Beach area of SC is closer to get to than Nags Head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom