Dive Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was going to say. If the Perdix and Teric are out of the budget, the Descent will be way out.

Peregrine is a great choice. Only drawback I see for recreational divers is no AI. AI is a great feature, but not a requirement, really.

If you want AI, and could see yourself opting for a Perdix or Teric in the future, look at one of the others that use the PPS transmitter (Aqualung, Oceanic, etc.). There’s a thread on SB that lists them all. That way, after a bit, you can get a SW computer and use the same transmitter. I’d recommend looking at Oceanic mainly because they come with two different algorithms.

Descent is definitely way out of my budget as a dive watch, but as I’m planning to spend $700 on a multi sport watch, and potentially $1000 on a dive computer, why not get a descent that does both.

that was just a thought, pretty sure it’s out of my reach for now

In my opinion AI makes sense only if the computer's algorithm factors your air consumption in the deco calculations.
And currently only top models from Scubapro have this feature, in my knowledge.

No, and the SP feature sounds... questionable to put it mildly. The problem is the base formulae work on ratios whereas your gas consumption is absolutes. The best you can do is hypothesize that increased gas consumption equals increased work equals greater on-gassing, and dynamically up the conservatism a little. There's a couple of ifs in all that, starting from the big one: if the initial conservatism factor was more than sufficient for the dive to begin with.

AI makes sense if you want all your data on one display and also in one log. That is all.

No, and the SP feature sounds... questionable to put it mildly. The problem is the base formulae work on ratios whereas your gas consumption is absolutes. The best you can do is hypothesize that increased gas consumption equals increased work equals greater on-gassing, and dynamically up the conservatism a little. There's a couple of ifs in all that, starting from the big one: if the initial conservatism factor was more than sufficient for the dive to begin with.

AI makes sense if you want all your data on one display and also in one log. That is all.
Actually Scubapro is relying on the most advanced version of the Bulhmann's "adaptive" algorithm. If you read the original Bulhmann paper, it explains quite extensively the concept that whenever the diver is over-exerting, with higher breathing, higher hearth pulse rate, higher blood pressure, the tissues saturate faster. Then during deco stops the diver is almost motionless, so he desaturates slower. Keeping the same hemi-saturation value during on-gassing and off-gassing is wrong. The adaptive Bulhmann algorithm accounts for this, and uses various "proxies" for estimating these over-exertion effects.
Actually top Scubapro computers factor all three of them: SAC, heart rate monitor, blood pressure. Of course this requires proper sensors.
Is all this worth the cost and complication, or better to rely on reduced GFs for getting the required additional conservatorism when you know that you did make strong physical activity during the deep part of your dive?
I leave the answer to tech divers (which I am not)...
Said that, as my DC is just beside the analog mechanical SPG, the data are already there in one place to see... Easier and better to see, I must say! And much more reliable.
So, if this is the only reason for AI, then it is not relevant for people who cannot or do not like to keep the DC on their wrist, for a number of reasons, and prefer to have a console attached to their harness.

Actually Scubapro is relying on the most advanced version of the Bulhmann's "adaptive" algorithm. If you read the original Bulhmann paper, it explains quite extensively the concept that whenever the diver is over-exerting, with higher breathing, higher hearth pulse rate, higher blood pressure, the tissues saturate faster. Then during deco stops the diver is almost motionless, so he desaturates slower. Keeping the same hemi-saturation value during on-gassing and off-gassing is wrong. The adaptive Bulhmann algorithm accounts for this, and uses various "proxies" for estimating these over-exertion effects.
Actually top Scubapro computers factor all three of them: SAC, heart rate monitor, blood pressure. Of course this requires proper sensors.
Is all this worth the cost and complication, or better to rely on reduced GFs for getting the required additional conservatorism when you know that you did make strong physical activity during the deep part of your dive?
I leave the answer to tech divers (which I am not)...
Said that, as my DC is just beside the analog mechanical SPG, the data are already there in one place to see... Easier and better to see, I must say! And much more reliable.
So, if this is the only reason for AI, then it is not relevant for people who cannot or do not like to keep the DC on their wrist, for a number of reasons, and prefer to have a console attached to their harness.
Actually my dream, having enough money, is to get this one:
peregrine_console_ortho_front_no-compass-imperial-png.644056.png

And instead, due to money constraint, this is what I got on Amazon's Prime Day for just 110.99 eur:
71Is-ayICXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

thanks for that link, does this mean I can get a SW computer now and get a transmitter from any of the compatible brands and it’ll work?
Yes. As long as it has FCC ID MH8A on it, it will work. I’m currently using a transmitter that came with an Oceanic VT4.1 that I bought in 2013.

For new, SW prices on transmitter are certainly competitive with the other brands.

Why don't you consider Ratio computers? They are great especially considering that they are in your backyard.
Never heard of them...
Quite expensive, indeed, so out of my budget. Although on their web site they look nice. I love particularly the transmitter with color light showing the air pressure to divers around...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom