What's perfect should not be improved....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

View attachment 645436

It's been improved. Although the lighting is a gimmick, it's got genuine cherry mx hardware switches like the IBM. You can choose clicky or various levels of force required like the IBM. It also brings to the party modern keys (like windows) and most importantly: hardware macros (they require no software on the computer). It also has anti-ghosting and MKRO; it can register a press of every single key simultaneously without confusing the presses. One more thing it shares with the IBM; both are expensive.

I'll raise you a few with different tradeoffs.
Staggered not slanted key columns. Curved wells to follow arc of fingers. Hot-swappable keys with varying force and sound for your taste. Kenesis Advantage. A bit big though:
kenesis.png

A more portable version, ZSA Moonlander:
(zoolander.jpg

A smaller version of the programable layers idea, Keyboardio Atreus, that is my daily keyboard. Numbers etc. are on extra shifted layers. Shift the meaning of the keys, not where your fingers are. All programable. With hotswap switches for linear, tactile (like zeal Zilent) or clicky in ranges of forces. No key labels as I type Dvorak anyway. And ditch the flat profile keycaps for ones with some profile for your finger tips to guide themselves with:
atreus2.jpeg

An extra column on the outside would be nice though, for tab, esc, etc. You could also go with electro-optical switches or throw in a rotary knob or two for scroll, zoom or pan. One of these might be the ErgoTravel or ErgoDox
splits3.png

But none are $50 at BestBuy.
Nor are my ForceFin Hockey or Pros.

• And now for the biggest, most interesting point:
    I've never seen any physics or hard experimental evidence proving that the jet fin vent (or indeed any other) design really IS better than all the other gimmicky fin efficiency features out there. Does the vent really make jet fins that much better than an unvented paddle of equal stiffness and weight? Is the vent optimally designed? I would love to see some good independent science done on this. That said, they do seem to work, and anecdotally work better than similar knockoff fins with less vent overlap (eg. RK3s).

vents were evaluated and dismissed
Evaluation of fins used in underwater swimming, R Pendergast

Reactions: OTF
View attachment 645436

It's been improved. Although the lighting is a gimmick, it's got genuine cherry mx hardware switches like the IBM.
Blasphemy. Real IBM Model M's have buckling spring switches. Nothing has ever matched them in feel. Cherry MX Blues are a pale imitation. I have a 30 year old Model M in the office (all it needs is a cheap PS/2 to USB adapter or replacement cable to work with any modern computer) and it is a true joy to type on. If you get a chance try one.

BTW, Unicomp makes Model M copies using the original tooling, but the only good thing about them are the switch mechanisms. The tooling is nearly worn out so tolerances are sloppy, quality control is inconsistent and they cheaped out on the secondary supports for long keys like the spacebar and numeric keypad Enter.

A little more info:
Buckling Spring - KeyChatter.com - Mechanical Keyboard Reviews, News, Buyer's Guide, and more

https://www.howtogeek.com/661430/why-i-still-use-a-34-year-old-ibm-model-m-keyboard/

Blasphemy. Real IBM Model M's have buckling spring switches.

:rofl3: And BTW lighting is useful when you play in a dark room and need to hit something that isn't WASD.

And a ZSA moonlander is useless without this:

9%2Fthis-insane-motorized-scorpion-computer-chair-is-perfect-for-work-from-home-supervillains-04.jpg

Jet foot pockets just don't fit me. I was using turtles and more recently mares power plana's

I was at a wedding once, (when receptions still existed in the olden days), seated next to a boring guy who worked at IBM research labs. In conversation he asked me what I thought of the eraser head mouse. I told him that I hated them and that it was the biggest POS I had ever used. Why do you ask? He said that he was the head of the team that invented it. My wife kicked me so hard under the table that I nearly lost my shoe.

I was at a wedding once, (when receptions still existed in the olden days), seated next to a boring guy who worked at IBM research labs. In conversation he asked me what I thought of the eraser head mouse. I told him that I hated them and that it was the biggest POS I had ever used. Why do you ask? He said that he was the head of the team that invented it. My wife kicked me so hard under the table that I nearly lost my shoe.
Your wife should have kicked him.

Back
Top Bottom