WTB Tank Whip (For Cleaning)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have made a whip a little bit ago. Similar to the happydiver pic. I did some lighting projects a while back and ended up with 500' of 1/16" stainless braided cable. If you would like to try it, I would gladly send you some to do this. Hell, I would even cut it into any length you want.

You guys rock.

Any idea on the length of those cables? Are you happy with it?

Any issues getting the hose clamp into skinny neck tanks?
I made one like that but had a problem with the strands all wrapping around themselves instead of splaying out. It might be that I had the strands too long and if I did it again I would use shorter ones. I don't think you could find a hose-clamp small enough to get into a narrow neck cylinder but expect you could find something to act as a crimp.

I have made a whip a little bit ago. Similar to the happydiver pic. I did some lighting projects a while back and ended up with 500' of 1/16" stainless braided cable. If you would like to try it, I would gladly send you some to do this. Hell, I would even cut it into any length you want.

Sure, I'm not sure what shipping would be? It might end up being more than it's worth? I don't know ~ 10'? shipped to 21013... let me know.

I may even have some cable laying around the shop I could use.

Sounds good to me, at least there's some measurements there.

Sure, I'm not sure what shipping would be? It might end up being more than it's worth? I don't know ~ 10'? shipped to 21013... let me know.
Can't be much. PM an address and I'll send them. Also length you would like them cut to, I have the proper cutters for this.

Mine are 8” long. Easier to manipulate with the drill that way.

As I recall , I think I some how configured a bow tie configuration by using one of my auger bit extensions that is made by Greenlee. I changed to a similar set up like above. Found that the ends cleaned better.

I mentioned earlier that I did not have much success with the first whip I made but this thread prompted me to try again. I had a couple of tanks back from hydro that I had not got around to cleaning so I tried it out on the flash rust in them. Two minutes and the tanks were like new except for the bottom so I also made a more solid adapter for the wire brush for the bottom. A bit slower and it does not get that small portion around the curve but I have an idea for that. I also made a vacuum attachment to clean out any dust.
Tank whip.jpg Vacuum pickup.jpg

I mentioned earlier that I did not have much success with the first whip I made but this thread prompted me to try again. I had a couple of tanks back from hydro that I had not got around to cleaning so I tried it out on the flash rust in them. Two minutes and the tanks were like new except for the bottom so I also made a more solid adapter for the wire brush for the bottom. A bit slower and it does not get that small portion around the curve but I have an idea for that. I also made a vacuum attachment to clean out any dust.
View attachment 646333 View attachment 646332

That's awesome!

Back
Top Bottom