Baja California - Road trip Summer ' 21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pat85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
SCUBA friends,

I want to ask for your input and experiences on the following:

My girlfriend and I are planning a summer road trip through Baja California, Mexico. We are not sure yet about only visiting Baja, or extending the trip to Baja California Sur. Starting point (or end point) of the trip will be Tijuana. Trip will be about 10-14 days.

I’m (SSI) AOW, my GF is not yet certified but will try to be certified by summer too, or we’ll spend a few days at one place to get her a certification and for me to get a few dives in.

What are some recommendations the folks at Scubaboard can give us to check out? For now, scuba related, but more tips and recommendations are always welcome!

Thanks in advance!

I just did a full Baja driving trip in November (Colorado to San Diego to Tijuana and then south, eventually landing in Cozumel).

Places I'd go back to:

- Bahia de Los Angeles
- Mulege and the Bahias around it (Concepcion/ Requeson/etc)
- Loreto
- La Paz
- Cabo Pulmo
- La Ventana

Places I probably won't visit again, but might interest you guys:

- Enseneda
- Todos Santos
- San Jose del Cabo
- Cabo San Lucas

The best diving is in La Paz and Cabo Pulmo. Loreto has diving, but I wouldn't go back for the diving.
In La Paz, I dive with Sea Lions Dive Center and Buceo Carey
Cabo Pulmo is trickier. I have had good and bad experiences with several dive ops there, so I don't point anyone out. I have friends that just dove with East Cape Explorers and said they were satisfied, so there is that.

There is some decent diving out of the other two cabos, but it is hit or miss and also really depends on your dive op.
For the other cabos, Fer and Mathias with Latitude Encounters are good to work with.

Rent a car with baja plates if you can, travel during the day, watch out for cows, obey the traffic laws even if other people aren't and make sure the pump reads zero (lleno!). Loreto, La Paz and Cabo Pulmo are standouts.

I have been to Baja 5 times in the last 2 years and just returned from a 1 week stay in Cabo San Lucas. Since you are on a 10-14 timetable and are interested in the diving, I would suggest flying in and out of San Jose Del Cabo (SJD airport code) and renting a car there. Use Cactus rentals.
Shuttle Airport - All the time Cabo
No BS, or hidden charges. I've used them every trip and they are awesome. You'll just need a basic car. No SUV is necessary -- even if you drive (and be sure to stay there as well) to Cabo Pulmo -- where the best diving is.
We stayed at Baja Bungalows for a week last October and loved it:
Home
For diving in Pulmo we've used Pilu twice. Can't say enough good things about her and her operation:
Cabo Pulmo Diver | Recreational Scuba Diving Activities

In my opinion, you'll just be wasting 4 days (2 down, 2 back up) of boring driving in the upper 2/3 of Baja if you start from Tijuana. All the good stuff is in the bottom 1/3 of Baja -- and most of that is on the east coast of Baja.

Horn34 nailed it on the places to see (and avoid) although Todos Santos is a an interesting "Disney Epcot" diversion from the rest of the pueblos. As far as safety goes, there are probably more gringos in Baja Sur than locals --especially during the non-summer months. It's as safe as anywhere on the planet. No one even locks their doors in Pulmo. The only danger (and it's a REAL one) is driving at night. Don't do it! You'll hit a cow or blast across some random "TOPES" and wreck the front end.

I have been to Baja 5 times in the last 2 years and just returned from a 1 week stay in Cabo San Lucas. Since you are on a 10-14 timetable and are interested in the diving, I would suggest flying in and out of San Jose Del Cabo (SJD airport code) and renting a car there. Use Cactus rentals.
Shuttle Airport - All the time Cabo
No BS, or hidden charges. I've used them every trip and they are awesome. You'll just need a basic car. No SUV is necessary -- even if you drive (and be sure to stay there as well) to Cabo Pulmo -- where the best diving is.
We stayed at Baja Bungalows for a week last October and loved it:
Home
For diving in Pulmo we've used Pilu twice. Can't say enough good things about her and her operation:
Cabo Pulmo Diver | Recreational Scuba Diving Activities

In my opinion, you'll just be wasting 4 days (2 down, 2 back up) of boring driving in the upper 2/3 of Baja if you start from Tijuana. All the good stuff is in the bottom 1/3 of Baja -- and most of that is on the east coast of Baja.

Horn34 nailed it on the places to see (and avoid) although Todos Santos is a an interesting "Disney Epcot" diversion from the rest of the pueblos. As far as safety goes, there are probably more gringos in Baja Sur than locals --especially during the non-summer months. It's as safe as anywhere on the planet. No one even locks their doors in Pulmo. The only danger (and it's a REAL one) is driving at night. Don't do it! You'll hit a cow or blast across some random "TOPES" and wreck the front end.

Good info... always go to Cabo to fish, and will be there in October for the Bisbee. I take it this is pretty mellow destination and that AirBnb is totally safe and walking around town at night solo for food and drink? I always stay in local, but usually with local or a large group. Also was looking at https://www.cabopulmo.com/diving but totally hate resorts. Thoughts?

Attachments

• upload_2021-3-4_16-53-46.png
    upload_2021-3-4_16-53-46.png
    253.4 KB · Views: 74
Good info... always go to Cabo to fish, and will be there in October for the Bisbee. I take it this is pretty mellow destination and that AirBnb is totally safe and walking around town at night solo for food and drink? I always stay in local, but usually with local or a large group. Also was looking at https://www.cabopulmo.com/diving but totally hate resorts. Thoughts?

Yup - totally safe. Stayed in Pulmo for a week the last two years in Fall. Oct/Nov are best months for moderate weather, warm waters. Wife and I walked to/from dinner every night. Bring a flashlight because once it gets dark, there are no streetlights. All the operators there go to the same sites and are competent. I think they are all from the same family (Castro). It's all very organized -- not a free-for-all like Cozumel, for example.

As to lodgings, I recall seeing Scubaboard reports of petty theft from lodgings closer to the beach than the neighborhood where I stayed -- which is further inland. Personally, I like being on a property where the owner lives and that's true of the compound that I linked to. I also think that the properties in that inland section give you more bang per buck.

I just did a full Baja driving trip in November (Colorado to San Diego to Tijuana and then south, eventually landing in Cozumel).

Places I'd go back to:

- Bahia de Los Angeles
- Mulege and the Bahias around it (Concepcion/ Requeson/etc)
- Loreto
- La Paz
- Cabo Pulmo
- La Ventana

Places I probably won't visit again, but might interest you guys:

- Enseneda
- Todos Santos
- San Jose del Cabo
- Cabo San Lucas

The best diving is in La Paz and Cabo Pulmo. Loreto has diving, but I wouldn't go back for the diving.
In La Paz, I dive with Sea Lions Dive Center and Buceo Carey
Cabo Pulmo is trickier. I have had good and bad experiences with several dive ops there, so I don't point anyone out. I have friends that just dove with East Cape Explorers and said they were satisfied, so there is that.

There is some decent diving out of the other two cabos, but it is hit or miss and also really depends on your dive op.
For the other cabos, Fer and Mathias with Latitude Encounters are good to work with.

Thanks so much! Good tips and links. Will look into it!

Rent a car with baja plates if you can, travel during the day, watch out for cows, obey the traffic laws even if other people aren't and make sure the pump reads zero (lleno!). Loreto, La Paz and Cabo Pulmo are standouts.

Thanks, guess Scuba Board agrees on a lot of the must sees!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom