Dive Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh come on, srsly. It must be nice to be at the "independently well off entry level" but for many "entry level" is $150, not $150 * 3. And how about a computer that doesn't break so you don't have to avail yourself of that excellent service we keep hearing about, is that too much to ask.

Oh come on, srsly. It must be nice to be at the "independently well off entry level" but for many "entry level" is $150, not $150 * 3. And how about a computer that doesn't break so you don't have to avail yourself of that excellent service we keep hearing about, is that too much to ask.
There are no new computers for $150. The least expensive computers give you Mares and Cressi RGBM. The best deal out there now is the closeout of the Oceanic Geo 2 for $240. The best inexpensive computer out there is probably the Deep 6 Excursion for $255, despite the funky way it handles deco.

There are no new computers for $150.

You're right, looks like they sold out the last of the pucks and it's now puck pro for $180 (or wait for a sale). Still quite a bit less than "entry level" $450.

How did you know that? What told you that their current CPU is slow?
(10:40 Mark)

(1:57 Mark) The compass looks like its about to overload the system
(3:55 Mark) His analysis comment)

It's not just a screen refresh issue. You can see that it's slow on changing screens but gets even slower when it's trying to also deal with compass data added into the mix.

Look at the Shearwater Peregrine. They make excellent computers that are easy to read and operate. The Peregrine is entry level and priced accordingly and is not lacking anything
It is not a entry level computer.
And the price tag meant I can easily get a cheaper one with enough change to invest on something else.

i100 Computer

There are no new computers for $150. The least expensive computers give you Mares and Cressi RGBM. The best deal out there now is the closeout of the Oceanic Geo 2 for $240. The best inexpensive computer out there is probably the Deep 6 Excursion for $255, despite the funky way it handles deco.
I did pay 110.39 Eur for my Cressi Leonardo in a console with an SPG and a compass. Amazon Prime Day, past autumn...
Cressi-Leonardo-Console.png

Previous year I did buy two of them without console for my wife and my son, both at 99 eur, again on Amazon Prime Day.
So you can get a decent basic computer for much cheaper than 150 USD...
Of course a Peregrine is a much better computer, but not everyone has so much money to spend for doing a few recreational dives each year, for which the Leonardo is just fine. I prefer to spend money travelling and diving instead of buying equipment which I use very seldom...

Of course a Peregrine is a much better computer, but not everyone has so much money to spend for doing a few recreational dives each year, for which the Leonardo is just fine. I prefer to spend money travelling and diving instead of buying equipment which I use very seldom...
I would not say Peregrine is a much better computer if it is costing nearly double of the others. And also it does NOT provide any additional essential information necessary for the dive.
Calculating of ndl, simple deco algorithm if accidentally violated the ndl, max death of the dive reached, time lapsed of the dive, limited logged dive( to write or down load afterward). user replaceable battery, single mix of nitrox up to 40%.

You just pay more for bell and whistle.

I would not say Peregrine is a much better computer if it is costing nearly double of the others. And also it does NOT provide any additional essential information necessary for the dive.
Calculating of ndl, simple deco algorithm if accidentally violated the ndl, max death of the dive reached, time lapsed of the dive, limited logged dive( to write or down load afterward). user replaceable battery, single mix of nitrox up to 40%.

You just pay more for bell and whistle.
Well, you also pay for a standard decompression algorithm that you can set any way to fit your own diving needs. Beginning divers can choose one of the recreational presets. More advanced divers can choose a custom algorithm. This is much more flexible than the standard deco algorithm of many computers, including the conservative Mares and Cressi RGBM algorithms.

I would not say Peregrine is a much better computer if it is costing nearly double of the others.
Have you used one? Or any Shearwater?

My Shearwater is definitely better than any of the other computers I’ve used in the past. You clearly want a basic cheap computer. Others don’t.

@rycyt -- see, you don't want a "beginner", nor a "beginner-advanced" dive computer at no extra cost. What you want is a Shearwater dive computer for $500 or for $1,000. I bet you'd never known it, had you not asked us helpful folks here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom