DIY Goodman handle for an light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made my own dive light similar to the alien light... Honestly really love the 3 torch design

View attachment 636937

That's pretty cool, my canister light broke and I've been eyeing the Alien light for quite a while :)

Can you tell me what the spot is in higher distance? i.e. 10-15 meters in dark environment?
I'm interested in how much the focus is blurred since I expect the three light's are parallel

Many Thanks
Will

That's pretty cool, my canister light broke and I've been eyeing the Alien light for quite a while :)

Can you tell me what the spot is in higher distance? i.e. 10-15 meters in dark environment?
I'm interested in how much the focus is blurred since I expect the three light's are parallel

Many Thanks
Will
so i cant say definitively since we rarely get more than 6 meters of vis locally...but i find it does strike a good compromise between flood and spot....the D520s have a 12* spot with a 72* flood...which for the limited vis diving im doing works quite well.

it does have the added benefit of making you easily identifiable underwater.....as no one is diving with 3 torches

there are times when i would like to to be a little more "punchy".....ive been contemplating making a new version around the orcatorch D710s

but i can try to get some photos tonight on dry land to give you an approximation of the spot at distance.

so with the 3 torches, this is the amount of fill im getting.

3ykL8zP.jpg

the shed is approx 50' away......and the shed is about 6'x8' and took up the majority of the "spot"

So which of the two do most people recommend? And best method to attach to a DGX600? (bungee?)

DGX600 Hard Goodman Handle by BiggPa

Goodman handle by nagilum

I purchased one DGX600... am considering a second to have primary/backup (rec diving for now, but will eventually get a CAN for more tec diving). Is there a better light option than the DGX for less money?

I may order a D26 instead of the DGX...

So I made the first one and use with DGX600. I have secured the light with 1/8 bungee and then 1/4" bungee over the top. This allows to easily remove the light from the handle - I pull it forward a little when unscrewing to change the battery. I use the larger over-the-top loop to hook my right thumb when moving the light from hand to hand.

I went with wing nuts along the inside so I would only need a screwdriver to tighten.

I think that the light is pretty stable. It shakes a little above water, but I don't notice it under water

Pics attached.

The one warning, I have kinda small hands (I wear small 4th element 3mm) so you will want to check the width

Attachments

• 20210131_145007.jpg
    20210131_145007.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 20210131_145019.jpg
    20210131_145019.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 146
For primary dive lights, do your guys prefer fixing it on the goodman handle, or the lifting handle is also fine? :)

For primary dive lights, do your guys prefer fixing it on the goodman handle, or the lifting handle is also fine? :)

I prefer a Goodman handle.

I prefer a hard goodman handle. I am often task loaded, so the soft handles are not as attractive of an option. I have used soft handles, but find them too troublesome to remove and replace.

If Xtar is interested in getting to the goodman handle game, I would be available to test and evaluate! (I'm not too far, just in Manila....LOL)

I prefer a hard goodman handle. I am often task loaded, so the soft handles are not as attractive of an option. I have used soft handles, but find them too troublesome to remove and replace.

If Xtar is interested in getting to the goodman handle game, I would be available to test and evaluate! (I'm not too far, just in Manila....LOL)
Thanks for your kind sharing! If we are getting to the handles, and other diving accessories, we will be happy to contact you for testing it. :cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom