Beach dolly for scuba tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello:

I am curious if anyone has built a two wheeled beach dolly to specifically transport tanks long distances over soft sand. This type of dolly would have to have balloon tires to go over the sand without sinking.

We had a harbor freight / Walmart cart model which is claimed to be usable for general transportation, but we found the wheels to be non-functional in soft sand.

There are a number of 2 wheeled dollys on the market with balloon tires, but they do not seem to be sturdy enough for tanks.

Like, one diver's full kit, or one twinset -- or like a dozen tanks?

I've seen things like these being used for steel D12 setups.
They seem pretty sturdy and capable on soft sand.
IMG_20210303_202016.jpg

Here is a prototype that I have started working on. It’s made mostly of marine polymer lumber and stainless steel tubing and fasteners.

There seem to be balance issues carrying something shaped like scuba cylinders. Conventional placement of the wheels makes the tongue weight too heavy. All the holes are for different mounting points trying to get the balance reasonable. The axle bolts are too long because the starboard that supported the axle used to be mounted the other way. I am not sure yet whether the current configuration is structurally sound. So I don’t want to cut off the bolts yet.

this needs to be able to transport a set of steel doubles long distances over the soft sand dunes in Panama City Beach And other parts of FL.

96C469C2-F359-45C8-AEF3-9E44EC2204A9.jpeg

You have a lever arm problem. The weight of the twinset is so far ahead of the fulcrum point that tipping doesn't get it to be above the fulcrum. Try putting a milk crate on your existing platform, then the twinset on that, and see if that makes a balance difference that improves the usability.

ETA: Also/or, consider a second set of wheels, that land in the overcenter stable position and spreads the load on the sand. (That reads like word salad -- sb 1 for a sketch.)

ETA2:
upload_2021-3-5_12-0-53.png

You will never achieve true happiness with only two wheels unless you have a horse

@The Chairman built a very nice one. I remember it being nicer than mine. He's posted about it before, but I couldn't find the thread. Perhaps he'll dig up the thread or just post info/pics here. I am pretty sure it had big wheels suitable for soft sand.

I use these. Not DIY obviously. Every year or two I break part of it and have to buy a replacement ($30 at ace hardware).
aed1eb2a-e551-4adf-aa19-16fc541d7feb?quality=60&_mzcb=_1606525719704.jpg

I carry around worthington LP108's with it. Sometimes with bp/w and weights attached. Only fits the 8" tanks one at a time. Doesn't work great in sand, but is fine on grassy dirt like you find at Ginnie Springs or in parking lots.

Folds up flat and small.

Milwaukee Collapsible Folding Hand Truck 150 lb. - Ace Hardware

@The Chairman built a very nice one. I remember it being nicer than mine. He's posted about it before, but I couldn't find the thread. Perhaps he'll dig up the thread or just post info/pics here. I am pretty sure it had big wheels suitable for soft sand.
They're suitable for sidemounting Florida's springs and trails. :D

full?d=1393623361.jpg

full?d=1455882157.jpg

I bought the cart for $18 or so... took off the old wheels and put on 20 inchers that help to shift the balance of weight to closer to the middle of the tank. Welded in some 10" rings on the bottom to keep the tanks from sliding out. I can make one easy trip to the steps to unload. I love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom