Checking tank pressure does BC hose need to be attached?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishWatcher747

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This came up in another discussion. A diver gets on a dive boat and is assigned 2 tanks for 2 dives. So he checks both tank pressures and takes the tank with more gas on first deep dive and the one with less gas on second shallow dive. I would like to start doing this as 3400 PSI vs 2800 can be a big difference in bottom time.

So you hook up your Reg set on each tank and turn on the gas and check pressure.

My question is do I need to hook up the hose to the BC to do this? I want to know before I make a scene on the boat if I am doing it wrong.

I want to know before I make a scene on the boat if I am doing it wrong.

Go ahead, make a scene and tell us all about it please :p

Two options. Buy a pressure checker and carry it with you to check both tanks before setting up your gear ... or ... connect your reg to both tanks, pressurize and check each. No need to connect everything (ie BCD). Once you know both tanks are good you can begin setting up your full kit on your first tank.

So you hook up your Reg set on each tank and turn on the gas and check pressure.

My question is do I need to hook up the hose to the BC to do this? I want to know before I make a scene on the boat if I am doing it wrong.
It's called a low pressure inflator hose and it doesn't need to be hooked up to the BCD to check tank pressure.

In fact, you can disconnect it during a dive without any adverse effects other than having to manually inflate your BC. For example, you'd do this if the power inflator on your BC sticks open during a dive.

I throw my reg on right after getting fills. Good thing--one time the tank was only 1/2 full.

Where I come from 2800 is a full tank, especially for a second dive. One thing that people sometimes forget is that when a tank is freshly filled, the gas will be warm and the pressure higher. As the tank cools, pressure will decrease.

Buy a pressure checker and carry it with you to check both tanks before setting up your gear
This. They're kind of expensive ($80 or so) but oh so convenient. Doubly so when you find your tank collection at home has multiplied into 4 or more.

I think if I was using the old style mechanical SPG I'd probably just stick with using a regulator. No concerns about BCD being connected as you've already been told. Checking multiple tanks with hoseless AI can be inconvenient.

Back
Top Bottom