Dive Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now, 129 replies to the relatively simple question from @rycyt

@Centrals is right, all you really need is dive time, depth, NDL, the ability to set the gas you are using, and a SPG

Many other posters are right too. Personally, I really like having my cylinder pressure, SurfGF, and the floating north pointer on my home screen.

I bought an Oceanic Pro Plus 2 in 2002, my daughter still dives it. My Oceanic VT3 is 10 1/2 years old and is going strong at 1529 dives and 1612 hours. I really like my 1 1/2 year old Teric :)

Many DCs today offer color screens, air integration, Bluetooth, and other features. If a diver wants to use those features, that doesn’t make him or hoer wrong, nor does it make them a better or worse diver. It’s just a personal preference.

That depends on the circumstances.

If owning a 1k computer means diving a wetsuit rather than a drysuit in 10C water it certainly makes them wrong. They might not know it but they will be increasing the risk of a bend due to getting cold. They will be imposing shorter dives on their buddy much more than an excessively conservative computer would.

I own two Shearwaters and considered a Garmin mk2 last year but bought a shiny second drysuit instead.

Now, 129 replies to the relatively simple question from @rycyt

@Centrals is right, all you really need is dive time, depth, NDL, the ability to set the gas you are using, and a SPG

Many other posters are right too. Personally, I really like having my cylinder pressure, SurfGF, and the floating north pointer on my home screen.

I bought an Oceanic Pro Plus 2 in 2002, my daughter still dives it. My Oceanic VT3 is 10 1/2 years old and is going strong at 1529 dives and 1612 hours. I really like my 1 1/2 year old Teric :)

Careful now, I said the same thing to him in a different way and he said I was condescending LOL. The three things that first caught my eye with the Teric was that the Screen was so easy to read. Two it had AI in this small package and third the form factor was same as a watch so that meant I could wear it anytime so it therefore had more use to me than a normal dedicated DC.

Mostly expensive computers are a waste of money.
I own two Shearwaters and considered a Garmin mk2 last year but bought a shiny second drysuit instead.
I am confused by this statement because right after it you say you own two Shearwater Dive computers! I know at least one of them is a Perdix. Why did you waste your money?

I am confused by this statement because right after it you say you own two Shearwater Dive computers! I know at least one of them is a Perdix. Why did you waste your money?

Read the posts!

His point is legitimate.
A choice between a £1000 computer + a £70 wetsuit.
Or
a £500 drysuit, £100 computer and two diving trips.

The second option wins if you have just started diving.

His other point was that there is no problem having a £1000 computer, or even a £2000 computer ( Or a £8k CCR). If you are already fully kitted and diving regularly. But when you start???

I have been toying with buying another computer, but to make it worthwhile it needs to be have a fixed PO2 option and trimix. Each year I have chosen to spend the money diving, rather than spending the money on another computer.
Similarly, I have been considering another drysuit for the last few years. But my primary suit and the back up are still both dry. So I'll save the £1k and do more diving.

For most people, the 'diving budget' needs to be split between equipment maintenance, diving trips, replacement equipment and new shinny stuff (and possibly courses). A heavy emphasis on going diving, keeping warm and comfortable, and properly maintained equipment is a higher priority than a new piece of shinny kit.

One comes attached to a rebreather and one backs that up. I did say mostly. Expensive computers have a place but generally they are not required.

Careful now, I said the same thing to him in a different way and he said I was condescending LOL. The three things that first caught my eye with the Teric was that the Screen was so easy to read. Two it had AI in this small package and third the form factor was same as a watch so that meant I could wear it anytime so it therefore had more use to me than a normal dedicated DC.
Fourth, you will never worry about running out of battery power in the middle of long-haul liveaboard trip. When the battery reach to about half, I just place it on my iPhone pad wireless charger and it’s fully charged again in a few minutes.

While the basic information is the same, the way it is displayed is different. As I mentioned, if I see any of that information in yellow or red, that is something that needs attention. I don’t believe your computer can do that. That, and some of the other non-diving features are important to me, and I don’t mind paying extra for it.
I am talking about the essential information given by the computer. The display etc etc has nothing to do with it.
Someone might prefer a fluorescent green casing and does it make it necessary?
Others might prefer different feature eg. AI.
Keep the personal preference to yourself.

I am still waiting for anyone telling me what extra ESSENTIAL diving information that Shearwater's dive computer can provide that my 23 yrs old Uwatec or any modern day cheapo could not!!!

I am talking about the essential information given by the computer. The display etc etc has nothing to do with it.
Someone might prefer a fluorescent green casing and does it make it necessary?
Others might prefer different feature eg. AI.
The list is endless.
Apart from how the algorithm calculates the information, you are correct that dive computers display the same essential information. I never argued that that wasn’t the case. Instead, I was pointing out that those other non-essential features have value. That value can be convenience, aesthetics, or simply access to more information.

The list is endless, and that’s actually a good thing. Different divers can choose different computers that interest them. That’s fine. It drives manufacturers to incorporate new features. Some, like tactile alarms can actually improve safety, especially for new divers who may not be paying attention as much as they should. Others may simply be convenience.

It wasn’t too long ago that expensive proprietary cables, and complicated battery changes with weird batteries were the norm. Now, Bluetooth eliminates those cables, and there is a trend toward rechargeable or common (AA) batteries. That’s a good thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom