Dive Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Careful now, I said the same thing to him in a different way and he said I was condescending LOL. The three things that first caught my eye with the Teric was that the Screen was so easy to read. Two it had AI in this small package and third the form factor was same as a watch so that meant I could wear it anytime so it therefore had more use to me than a normal dedicated DC.
You are not alone on this matter!
Read what you had written first! The issue with the power indicator was NOT new and has been known for many many yrs.
I change the battery regularly when it is down to about 60%. My personal record for replacing the oil filled Uwatec is 25mins. And I also carry 2 extra cheapo on all diving trips.
You are NOW admitted that it was personal preference to choose Teric.

BTW, where is the one who was suggesting that I bought a cheap dive computer($400.00) back in 1997? Hate to repeat myself, bought two actually.

As someone had already said, spend the money on diving rather than replacing the perfectly function kit with new one.

"It has been remarked by a wise man that he who wrestles with a hog must expect to be spattered with filth, whether he is vanquished or not. This maxim I have long known and appreciated; nevertheless, there are occasions when it must be disregarded. A man may be attacked in such a way that he is compelled to flagellate his hogship, even at the risk of being contaminated by the unclean beast."

simple solution, don't buy a package and just get individual gear of the best type

packages are almost never a good idea because they commonly include mediocre pieces that you will end up replacing (outside of build your own package deals where you just get a small percentage discount for buying multiple items at once)
Roger the mediocre bit ,better separate, and I always check leisurepro.com first!

Mostly expensive computers are a waste of money.

For the difference in cost between an entry level computer from Suunto, Cressi or who ever and a top of the range computer from Shearwater or Garmin you can have a week long liveaboard or a drysuit. Even if you need deco gas capability you can buy that for vastly less.

Obviously there people who can afford the expensive computer, the expensive drysuit, the $10k go get to Bikini and so forth. However the people I generally meet are much younger and have pressure on their spending. They are much better off spending as little as possible on a computer and buying a drysuit that fits. A drysuit actually enables diving here while a fancy computer is just a fancy computer with no practical benefit. If diving warm places is your thing, would you rather have a week in the Red Sea with a Suunto or 20 year old UWatec or rather own a Teric in a drawer?
So you drive that breather w/o a computer?

Do you know how much I paid for that computer back in 1997?
Inflation Calculator. Value of $400 in Today's Dollars, by Year
About US$650.00 in today money.
And I have two but one of them died few yrs ago.
More than enough to buy 2 x Shearwater Teric today and still has about $400.00 left in my pocket.
Yes I am very tight with money 23 yrs ago!
You do not know what you do not know!
You really believe your $450.00 toy is a kind of status symbol?
What a clown!

Identifying Decompression Risk Factors

Interesting read.

CPSC, Mares America Corp. Announce Recall of Guardian Dive Computers
$400.00 for the Mares Guardian back in 1997.
I’m sorry if you can’t afford a shearwater, I can understand that in the deep depression caused by this you see that others merely owning something makes you feel that they have some sort of status symbol. I don’t have a $450 shearwater, I have a few Teric’s, not bragging just stating a fact.

You are not alone on this matter!
Read what you had written first! The issue with the power indicator was NOT new and has been known for many many yrs.
I change the battery regularly when it is down to about 60%. My personal record for replacing the oil filled Uwatec is 25mins. And I also carry 2 extra cheapo on all diving trips.
I remember when I was in my 20s I had an old car that ran out of Gas when the needle was at the 1/4 tank level. At first I thought it was not that big of a deal but as I started to do longer commutes it became a kind of coin toss as to how far I could go on half a Tank. I ended up much like you always trying to keep the Tank close to full because anything else could end up being a problem. I cannot deal with issues like that anymore!
I mean seriously, when your DC says 65% do you make a dive or do you change the battery or do you flip a coin:rolleyes:

You are NOW admitted that it was personal preference to choose Teric.

Sure, I see value in a Teric! Besides all the great features and reliability I love the fact that Shearwaters customer support is first class. I am getting too old and impatient to sit on the phone for 2 hours arguing with CS and getting nowhere. If a company offers first class CS it's a factor in my purchases.

BTW, where is the one who was suggesting that I bought a cheap dive computer($400.00) back in 1997? Hate to repeat myself, bought two actually.

As someone had already said, spend the money on diving rather than replacing the perfectly function kit with new one.
Your idea of perfectly functioning devices and mine are very different.
As for spending money on Diving versus Gear, I think it's wise to balance the two since I almost got killed twice using rental gear.
The first time was something you can appreciate. It was an SPG that read 700 PSI when the Tank was empty. I had to make CESA from 30ft when the Reg suddenly felt like I was sucking out of a straw. The Dive boat owners response? Cursing off one of the crew members and saying that he told him to take off that SPG last week. So either that was a lie or someone else had the same problem and they did not even bother to fix it.

I remember when I was in my 20s I had an old car that ran out of Gas when the needle was at the 1/4 tank level. At first I thought it was not that big of a deal but as I started to do longer commutes it became a kind of coin toss as to how far I could go on half a Tank. I ended up much like you always trying to keep the Tank close to full because anything else could end up being a problem. I cannot deal with issues like that anymore!
I mean seriously, when your DC says 65% do you make a dive or do you change the battery or do you flip a coin:rolleyes:

Sure, I see value in a Teric! Besides all the great features and reliability I love the fact that Shearwaters customer support is first class. I am getting too old and impatient to sit on the phone for 2 hours arguing with CS and getting nowhere. If a company offers first class CS it's a factor in my purchases.

Your idea of perfectly functioning devices and mine are very different.
As for spending money on Diving versus Gear, I think it's wise to balance the two since I almost got killed twice using rental gear.
The first time was something you can appreciate. It was an SPG that read 700 PSI when the Tank was empty. I had to make CESA from 30ft when the Reg suddenly felt like I was sucking out of a straw. The Dive boat owners response? Cursing off one of the crew members and saying that he told him to take off that SPG last week. So either that was a lie or someone else had the same problem and they did not even bother to fix it.

I don't understand why you need to be in touch with the company that made your computer especially if it's Shearwater which is supposedly the ultimate.

I've never had to phone nor email nor even think of doing so with any of the PDCs, that I have owned.

You are comparing apple and orange!!!!
There is NO redundancy for tank in any car! Are you aware of that?
I dive with a spare computer all the time!!!
I changed the battery before diving trip.
Do you have problem of understanding my post? English is not my mother tongue but I do believe I had made it very clear!

The rest of your post is plainly not relevant and rubbish.
You have yet to give an example that your Teric is superior than my 23 yrs old Uwatec in providing essential and necessary to execute a dive. Please keep your own preference to yourself!

What is your definition on essential diving information that every dive computer must be able to provide?

I’m sorry if you can’t afford a shearwater, I can understand that in the deep depression caused by this you see that others merely owning something makes you feel that they have some sort of status symbol. I don’t have a $450 shearwater, I have a few Teric’s, not bragging just stating a fact.
I could afford several Shearwater back in 1997!!!! Where was Shearwater back in 1997?
What you paid for any Shearwater nowadays is peanut money for me!!!!
When my Uwatec eventually die I know there is absolutely no need to spend any money on expensive dive computer because none of them could provide extra information that any cheapo cannot provide.

The OP was asking recommendation for a dive computer so everyone chipped in with his/her own opinion.
Lo and behold some of those Shearwater's owner participated just could not accept the fact that their beloved computer could not provide any more info than a 23 yrs old obsolete one. LOL.

Shearwater has its own web site accessible to any interested party. All the spec are there for all to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom