Regulator Service Technician Training - Unrestricted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally. I'd be there front and center if I could get someone to babysit my 5 year old.

I’m just getting back from a week diving in NC and a weekend in front of the computer would cost me way to much in bags and shoes for the wife to make this class worth it. However, if you’d be willing to record the zoom seminar I’d be interested.

Since time is going the be short, I would suggest a few different regs. I see no need for a a bunch of flow thorough pistons (Mk-5/10/25/ Atomic) since they are very similar, rather pick a common one (MK-5) as an example. I don't see a simple flow by piston in the mix (Mk-2) so one of those is a must. I have not kept up with HOG or Hollis so I'm not familiar with them but the newer Aqualung regs, as are many other balanced diaphragms, are the basically the Apeks design so throwing in an older style USD design- Conshelf or Titan rather than several of the same basic design would IMO be a better choice.
You're absolutely right, as always. We'll be looking at ALL of the various regulator designs. The demo regs for actual live class will depend upon the majority of attendee holdings, but as you well know, they're all very similar, with some special exceptions which we'll also cover, along with their advantages/disadvantages.
As for leaving a flow-by piston off that post response above when someone asked which are diaphragms and which are pistons, I fixed that. I should of course have included the venerable Mk2 and all its clones. On the diaphragm side we'll open up and compare all of Conshelf, Aqualung, Apeks and HOG. You know the similarities and differences, and we'll show that to the students. We'll service both an easy Conshelf (assuming the volcano is okay) and a more complex Mk19/Aqualung/Apeks with removable orifice. I'll be working with the students individually by screen sharing to attack their particular regs.
We'll try to space out the time consuming parts so that students can complete things like soaking and cleaning between day 1 and day 2. Lots of logistics hurdles to work out, but I'm planning that now. Thanks for your input!

I've had a generous offer of a reg set for disassembly/service/reassembly from one of our frequent SB posters. @lowwall has made a similar offer above. I have regs here at the shop that could serve similar roles.
If you are planning to, or have enrolled in the class, and only have one type of regulator to work on, and would like the other (diaphragm vs piston), then you have a couple of choices.
You can look for the cheapest eBay specimen you can find, and price it out.
You can take advantage of our member's offer and we can mail you a reg set that you can return after class.
The eBay price and postage is what it is.
The practice regs will go cheapest by USPS Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box. Paying for that two ways will be $15.50 each way, or $31.
So... $31 for a practice reg set for the class, which you don't get to keep, or
whatever deal you can score off eBay, and you have a new toy to practice on.
Or you can work on just one type, and watch for the other.

Just a thought...
E- mail me with your needs. Napascuba@gmail.com

I will vouch for @rsingler as a competent, very well experienced regulator technician, and a great person :)

I was able to take a similar course from Rob about 2 years ago...the skills, wisdom, patience, and ability to explain complex information was excellent!!

If I had the freedom that weekend, I would certainly jump at this opportunity...a bargain at twice the price!!

Have fun and best of luck to you all....way to go, Rob!! :)

At this point, we have 9 of 10 class slots potentially filled. When I fill the last slot for the inaugural session, I'll accept a couple of standby requests against an unexpected cancellation. I'll include you on all the mailings so you can get your preparatory material together, and will notify you no less than 2 weeks before if a slot begins available (I won't keep you hanging).

You'll have first dibs on the second course, once the dust settles, if you don't get in this time.

Correct. May. The expectation is that most attendees will need a little time to lay in tools. I'm hoping most will take the time to order and wade through Regulator Savvy.
I'm still working with Bruce at Scubatools for beginning tool sets. There are some things that aren't worth his time to stock, like an assortment of wooden dowels from 1/8" ‐ 1/2". They are invaluable in disassembly to avoid marring your brass. But at $3.00 apiece in three foot lengths at Home Depot, a student could spend $25 on dowels alone, and have enough extra 6" pieces for a decade. So I expect I'll need to buy and mail those out myself for a small fee, along with spare orings for when you nick one in practice. It'll be easier for me to put a kit of small parts together than for a student to buy all the minimum quantities himself.
It'll take a bit of back and forth with each of the participants to send them their service manual (if I have it), confirm tools and spare orings, and then try out Zoom with each student ahead of time.
It is my hope that by May, I'll have worked out all the kinks for the second course, so it won't have to be so far in the future.

Tenth spot now filled.
Will accept two more on Standby.
Thank you to everyone for your interest!

I'll post interim news here in addition to the emails I'll send out, so others can follow along and decide if this is just a logistical disaster, or something they might want to sign up for, in Round #2. :wink:

Finally. I'd be there front and center if I could get someone to babysit my 5 year old.

I'm going for round 2 because that is my weekend with my 5 year old, we could join the 5 year olds..... but wait 2 of them would require more supervision

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom