Card you’re most proud of earning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I resemble that remark ....

My view on this : all divers are kids, just more careful with their toys. (Hope Bill Watterson will forgive me :D)

CMAS* because I knew I wanted to to that since I was about 12. I read my big brother’s ”Skin Divers Bible” back to front repeatedly as a kid. Finally had the time, cash, freedom and opportunity (and all at the same time) when I was fourtysomething.

PADI Jr. Basic SCUBA Diver

The ONE that started it all.

Course taken in 1977, before any of the PADI instruction manuals, we used The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving as our text. Course taught by former military instructor and dive master. First evening 22 entered the pool for preliminary swimming skills, 14 were allowed to continue, including a 13 year old kid, me. Overall a course of the highest quality with only a small, read acceptable, amount of sadistic torture: Mask blackout drills, Underwater Scuba kit doff and don, turning your air off, it's just how we rolled in the 1970s. Plus the equipment was black and chrome plated, as God and USD/ScubaPro/Voit intended.

PADI Jr. Basic SCUBA Diver

The ONE that started it all.

Course taken in 1977, before any of the PADI instruction manuals, we used The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving as our text. Course taught by former military instructor and dive master. First evening 22 entered the pool for preliminary swimming skills, 14 were allowed to continue, including a 13 year old kid, me. Overall a course of the highest quality with only a small, read acceptable, amount of sadistic torture: Mask blackout drills, Underwater Scuba kit doff and don, turning your air off, it's just how we rolled in the 1970s. Plus the equipment was black and chrome plated, as God and USD/ScubaPro/Voit intended.

I took the Basic PADI Scuba course in 1976 and it was also a very challenging course.
One of the drills I remember was for another diver to turn off your air and rip off your mask when you didn’t expect it. Fun!
We also had to be CPR certified before we were given the card.
Think the classes lasted 6weeks or so.

Most proud of? That is a tough call!

I do hold a normoxic trimix cert and a full cave cert, and I am very happy to have received such training, but I would not call it 'being proud'.

What I am proud of is the time spent on Rubicon foundation archive - and my sump diving training - but I had a mentor for the latter, not a course!

So... I am proud of some academics and of some real world experience.

What I am proud of is the time spent on Rubicon foundation archive .

One of my future projects, with much input from people who know more than me, is to provide a TOC with links in order from basic to more advanced materials, updating it as new research is released that replaces older research.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom