Changing Regulator Mouthpiece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccrprospect

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

My regulator's (Apeks XTX50) mouthpiece is amply stressing my jaws. My teeth also turn quite sore after longish dives. I have a wide mouth and feel that the existing mouthpiece is simply too small. Any suggestions for a replacement mouthpiece that (a) is compatible with the Apeks XTX50 and (b) fits wider mouths?

Cheers.

I have never really liked those "Comfo-bite" mouthpieces used by Aqualung/Apex. Not so much for width, but more a preference for a longer bite.

I swapped my Apex XTX50 stock mouthpiece for a SeaCure (Size 4). It is a moldable mouthpiece, so will take to whatever size/shape mouth you have. They are not cheap (as far as mouthpieces go), but so much more comfortable.

I am in the LOVE camp on the comfobite mouthpieces. I have them on all of my regs regardless of manufacturer. As @grf88 mentioned the key is to NOT bite them. You hold them in place by just closing your mouth as you normally do. No need to bit down on anything. If it is stressing your jaw and teeth you are almost certainly biting down too hard. The mouthpiece is held in place by the piece that fits up in the bridge of your mouth behind your front teeth. They are especially comfortable for long duration use because you're not biting anything. I hate mouthpieces that I have to hold in place by actually biting them. Talk about uncomfortable!

However, if you insist on replacing it I've found that all mouthpieces fit the standard opening on the 2nd stage. I believe the size of that opening is pretty standardized. All of my 2nd stage regs have the same size opening. I can put any mouthpiece on them. Perhaps you want one of the models that you heat and it molds to your teeth before you then use it? I know some people love them. I don't recall what they're called. EDIT: I see @maj2 mentioned this type of mouthpiece above already. Maybe give that a try?

I think the secret of the Comfobite is not to really bite it at all.

For me, it was the higher bit that goes behind the teeth. It just seemed to rub and irritate the gums/palate behind my upper incisors. Seemed to happen no matter how loosely I had it in my mouth.

Hated it on my first Aqualung Glacia reg. Still didn't like it 20 years later with my Apex regs.

Mouthpiece preferences are definitely a personal thing.

Mouthpieces are interchangeable. The only thing holding them on is friction from a zip tie. To replace it, cut off the zip tie (making a note of where the lock is located), pull off the old mouthpiece and push on the new one. There's normally (always?) a little ridge on the inside of the mouthpiece that will keep you from pushing it on too far. Secure with a new zip tie. You want to be careful about where the lock ends up and how you clip the excess so you don't leave an uncomfortable protrusion.

If you have a local dive shop, they may let you try out different models. Although I'm not sure how that would work with Covid restrictions.

Or you can get a selection from an online shop, a small pack of zip ties and DIY. Here's one such site: https://www.piranhadivemfg.com/category/Mouth-Pieces-148

They are all under $5 except the moldables which are $15.

I am in the LOVE camp on the comfobite mouthpieces. I have them on all of my regs regardless of manufacturer.

+1

the comfobite comes in small, regular, and large size. have you tried the large size already?

the firm c bite from dgx also looks to be a bit larger than the soft one they sell, but i don't have dimensions for the comfobites on hand

I really like the Apeks mouthpieces, much nicer than the 'standard' Scubapro style mouthpiece. A friend who borrows some of my kit occasionally absolutely hates them and always changes the mouthpieces over, complaining that it makes him feel like gagging.

Nice to have differences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom